Please Help! Week old chick can’t balance, side lying.

FancyHippo

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2019
I picked up my Salmon Faverolle chick last Wednesday. I believe she was 2 days old and hatched that Monday. Apparently they had lost some of their shipment from “too much time on the truck.” Feed store lady said she was monitoring the survivors and they were doing well. Midge had a super wet beard from drinking and appeared healthy. I brough her home. Since being here, she had a couple rounds of Gro-Gel & has always had Chick Boost in her water. She was fine and thriving. Sunday I noticed she was lying on her side at the feeder. She could stand but would lose her balance when walking. She doesn’t have spraddle leg or any injuries that I can see to her legs or feet. Since Sunday, I’ve been giving her squirts of Nutridrench twice a day. She stays lying on her side under the brooder plate unless I spook her out and then she’ll flap her wings to get to the food. I try to set her by the water and she drinks sometimes but other times just wobble flies back under the heat plate. I’m so worried. She’s shown no improvement since Sunday. They’re on pine shavings (they were only on puppy pads for the first several days) and eating medicated feed. Her 18 other siblings are all doing well and they have plenty of space inside a 62” puppy playpen. Would love any advice!

I’m feeding Purina Medicated Chick Starter. They can get completely away from the plate, yes, their enclosure is quite large. She stays under the heat plate for the most part. I gave Gro Gel because I had it on hand from an online hatchery order and it says it gives immediate hydration and nutrition and she had a hard time in transit. Some of her siblings didn’t make it to the feed store where I got her, so I wanted to make sure she was hydrated.

No pasty butt. Oh no. :( Is there anything more I can do to help her? Should I continue with the Nutridrench?

I've had two chicks in my recent batch that began to go rapidly downhill after I got them home. In each case, I doctored them with warm sugar water, and Nutri-drench and it revived both. Shipping stress is a killer that often shows up days later. Try the sugar water with a narrow syringe into the right side of the beak. A drop or two at a time, give time to swallow and try to get a few more drops in. In half an hour, do another round. This should work.

Back
Top Bottom