3clucks

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Central Florida
Hi, I recently ordered 32 bantam day old chicks from a hatchery online of various breeds, and when I recived then I noticed a few had pasty butt so I cleaned it off, I then noticed one of the chicks had a prolapsed vent. (I am unsure as to the sex of this bird and don’t know if this would lead to further health issues in the future as it gets older). I have seen other forums on here saying to use witch hazel and prep H and to keep the area clean, I’ve also seen people push the prolapse back in the rectum using their finger in older birds but I’m unsure as to how I would do that since the chick is only a week old now and is still small. Also, would it be best to separate it from the other 31? The chick is eating, drinking and pooping normally and is walking around. It is a bantam white crested black polish. Any help is greatly appreciated, I don’t want it to suffer and would like culling to be the very last option to give it a fighting chance. Thanks.
D3AB34CD-C59A-4DCB-A796-7E1FE65D8FB8.jpeg
F8C7605D-6707-428E-8D28-39C2FE1E7D7D.jpeg
60A655FE-9AD2-43EB-BFBA-12DED4570148.jpeg
C4AE5926-5318-4036-9083-AAC3F019075C.jpeg

It may resolve on it’s own. It actually doesn’t look really prolapsed, but may just be prominent or the vent is just a little swollen. I would use a little dab of hydrocortisone cream on it to help the swelling. As long as it is pooping, eating and drinking, I would just keep an eye on it, and not push it in.

Ohh poor baby just keep a close eye on him & let him eat done wet crumble so the poop will not hard or cause problem during passing

It's important in his current situation to have some loose slippery poop to heal his vent

I had one who was like that. Scared me silly.

I bathed her every day in warm water with a little gentle soap and used some of that blue dye to keep her little butt from drawing the attention of the other chicks. Since she's a Lavender Orpington there was something ironic about her back end being vivid violet. (Actually, her name is Violet! ;)) My son even convinced his girlfriend that that was her natural coloration!

Some days it seemed to be resolved and then other days it was out and throbbing again. It went on for weeks. Longer, for sure, than I was comfortable about and I was worried for her future. But she's a strapping 26 weeks now and doing great.

Keep her clean and safe. That's about all you can do. She needs to be with her flock. And she needs to resolve it on her own.

Last edited:
I had one that had prolapsed worse than this one. I put vaseline on and used a bit of preparation H (hemroid cream) she healed up in a bit and never had another problem.

Back
Top Bottom