Please Help!

Canuck88

Songster
Jul 17, 2019
BC
I have a Crested Cream Legbar that needs help. I noticed her energy seemed low the past few days, but she’s eating a ton. Not herself, sleepy and lethargic.

I also noticed she had some poop stuck to her back feathers so I brought her in for a bath tonight, and she is skin and bones! What is wrong with her?! None of my other chickens seem to have any signs of anything wrong...

8B172979-2A35-4B03-BA86-E0FF2881B624.jpeg
EAE5C62B-CB3D-4D91-B204-202EA6C793F2.jpeg

I don’t have any safeguard but I can pick some up tomorrow. I feel so badly that this happened to her :(
Too distracted with work and human babies and farm chores and now my chicken baby is in really rough shape and it’s my fault.

Life happens to all of us, and chickens, as prey animals are really good at hiding illness. Don't beat yourself up, you are doing right by her now. Give her some more protein , some scrambled egg or if she's been on layer food, maybe some starter/grower, to give her more of a boost. If possible, get a fecal sample done to see if/what kind of parasite she might have. Has she been laying? How old is she? It's possible she has some internal laying or other laying problem.

Life happens to all of us, and chickens, as prey animals are really good at hiding illness. Don't beat yourself up, you are doing right by her now. Give her some more protein , some scrambled egg or if she's been on layer food, maybe some starter/grower, to give her more of a boost. If possible, get a fecal sample done to see if/what kind of parasite she might have. Has she been laying? How old is she? It's possible she has some internal laying or other laying problem.

Thank you for the kind words. I will try to take a fecal sample in with me and drop it at the vet in the morning. She is 15 weeks old so not laying yet. I did give her a bowl with starter and scrambled eggs which she is eating and have separated her from the others for now.

Ok, so probably not "girl problems". Age makes me think maybe coccidiosis. Seems young to have a heavy enough load of worms to cause that skinniness, but possible. I would go ahead and start Corid asap, while you wait for results on the fecal.

That’s good to know! I will take a fecal in and chat with the vet tomorrow, and hopefully we can get her feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom