Please meet my little ladies!

Tina D

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Dutchess County, NY
After about 2 years of yearning for some backyard chickens, I have mine! Now that I figured out how to post pics, I wanted to share them with you all.

First is Buttercup, a BO hen approximately 5 years old. She is such a sweet, cuddly lady! Poor thing does have arthritis, and needs a little extra TLC. But I don't mind a bit. Must be the nurse in me...
wink.png
She loves to eat Cheerios, tomatoes, and blueberries. She will sit on my lap and purr as she is petted and spoken to. I like to call her "Big Mama" because she keeps Lillie in line. heehee!
66970_buttercup.jpg

Next is Lillie, a cochin/polish mixture. I think the previous owner also said she is bantam? She is much smaller than Buttercup. Lillie is approximately 9 months old. She has beautiful black feathers that have a blue/green hue in the light! She has such a personality... She is very curious, and has to be in the middle of everything. When hubby was fixing something in the coop, Lillie was right at his elbow, watching the whole time. LOL She is like a little dog! She knows her name and perks up when you call her. She is also very vocal. Lillie loves to eat grapes, string cheese, and worms.
66970_lillie.jpg

It has been raining this whole week, since they have been home! So, it's been tough for me to develop a "chicken routine" each day. I'm mainly concerned with keeping them as comfy and dry as possible right now. I have draped a large tarp over the entire coop/run to keep the run dry. When the rain stops every so often, they do venture out of the run to explore a bit. So far, they have only been brave enough to go about 2-3 feet away from the run. Hopefully, as they get more comfortable, they will explore the whole yard.

This is my coop and run. I bought both from ebay. I'm pretty happy with them, but they'll need some tweaking. I bought an extra addition, which houses the nest boxes, and will add some square footage to the coop. Hubby also plans on adding some thin plywood to the entire outside of the coop for the winter.
66970_cooprun.jpg

Thanks for taking a peek!
D.gif

What cute girls. The setup is cute too, but like you said, some tweaking would make it even better.

BTW, I was raised in Southern Dutchess, Wapp. Fls. Wish I could have had chickens back then!

Back
Top Bottom