Please show me close ups of your slanted roof

I'm not the original poster, but thank you for the wonderful pictures. I'm in the midst of my own buildin project - using The Garden Coop plans - and am paused at roofing materials. My local hardware store sells the SunTuf Polycarbonate roof panels for around $35/sheet, and I need 6, plus the spacers ($8/packet).

I'm open to a metal roof that will be less expensive, but I'm a novice builder. Can you talk to me a bit about the material used on top of your rafter grid? Is it a foam material? Did your sheets come in 8' lengths? Any cons to using metal vs SunTuf that you know of?

To answer the original question, my plans call for all walls of the same height, and then place diagonally cut rafters (cut a 2x8x8 on a diagonal lengthwise) to create the slant.

I didn't want to struggle with a diagonal cut, so I made my front wall 1' taller than my rear wall and laid 2x4s skinny side up. I'll place my roofing material across 4 purlins placed horizontally across those rafters.

Don't have a picture now, but I'm using The Garden Coop plans and the net is rife with pics of the finished project using their method. A previous respondent is using the wall-differential method and has included pictures of what i'm doing.

I'm not the original poster, but thank you for the wonderful pictures. I'm in the midst of my own buildin project - using The Garden Coop plans - and am paused at roofing materials. My local hardware store sells the SunTuf Polycarbonate roof panels for around $35/sheet, and I need 6, plus the spacers ($8/packet).

I'm open to a metal roof that will be less expensive, but I'm a novice builder. Can you talk to me a bit about the material used on top of your rafter grid? Is it a foam material? Did your sheets come in 8' lengths? Any cons to using metal vs SunTuf that you know of?

i bought the PVC roofing from lowes (the PVC wont get nearly as hot as the metal roofing) it was the only place i could find it in 10' length. my roof is 6' at the rear and 7' at the front and 10*12 over and 8*10. the overhang in the back is only about 6 inches since the run underneath is mostly protected by the coop and it extends about 1 1/2 foot over the front. you dont need those plastic spacers on the whole roof. i'll go grab a few more pics for you with what i used....be back in a few

Last edited:
the rear of the roof

-uLvbafE2TGFOt3Ml65t0BXORMdvrKSO6S3KLgjihSELAYspN

it ended up using about 200 screws with the neoprene washers. i cut everything so that the roofing overhangs the structure by an inch and a half and if you notice in the photo of the front, they make a contoured foam for the roofing and i used that to secure the gaps at the front and rear walls of the run to keep critters out and along the sidewalls i just put strips of the 1*2's between the pearlngs and it happend to land under a valley so it sealed itself basically. the pearlings are every 24 inches on center and the roofing is screwed into them on every other rib.

Last edited:
helpful pics, thegreatwhite. thanks for posting those. did you cut that front beam into sections to fit in between the rafters. I am having a hard time understanding how the rafters are supported. It may be my untrained eyes and I don't even know the proper vocabulary to ask the right questions!

that white pvc actually looks like painted metal in some of the photos. maybe i will use that too. I wasn't thrilled with the way it looked at the stores but your pics look nice. Like that green a lot.

yes, the front and rear beams are sections cut to fit in between the rafters. the roof is actually a beige color, it's just not showing well in the photos. it took me a bit to figure out the roofing/rafter system too. i did have to go back with a grinder and grind off the ends of the roofing screws, i had to use 1 1/2" screws which were a slight bit too long, but there was no 1 1/4 option and 1" was too short

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom