please tell me if im crazy

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
i have had my rhode island reds since the end of july early august and they still wont lay. should i eat them? also they have been chasing each other around and they all try to hurt each other. i know for sure i have enough room. they have a 12 *6 coop that is 6 feet tall. i feed them lots and let them out to roam once a day. whats the deal . i feel like i should just eat the slackers

Quote:
I'm sorry... do you think they could be boys? Are they mating and a roo is chasing a hen?
Do you have pictures to post? It would be shame to give up on them if they are hens///
Christina

i had a few roos but i weeded them out im 100 percent these are all females but ill post pic these are like 2 months old but i think they will do

14396_haloween_034.jpg

14396_haloween_043.jpg

14396_haloween_042.jpg

14396_haloween_041.jpg

what age did you have them in july and august?
newborns

if so they aren't ready. Or I should say they are very, very close now but weather is cold too so could be slowing them down. Any day now should be if they are hitting 6 mos. now.

BUT if they were like 16 week old pullets or something when you got them....yea eat them!

Hmm. A 12 x 6 coop is 72 square feet. The Story Guide to Raising Chickens suggests 10 sq ft per chicken when they are cooped all of the time. So that would mean that if you have more than 7-8 hens and a roo, maybe they are too crowded and that is why they are picking on each other? Also this time of year many young pullets don't lay because they need about 12-14 hours of light in order to produce eggs.

You've probably got a fair amount invested at this point, so maybe give them til the days start to lengthen before you give up on them?

Good luck.

big_smile.png

well they are getting what day light we have here in georgia whick is alot there combs are bright red too. so i dont know what up

Back
Top Bottom