Please tell me she's a pullet!

Jiffyrocks

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2017
Louisville KY
She was supposed to be female. She's a barred Plymouth Rock.
She's my favorite! Always first to come say hi. Loves to ride around and perch on our arms.
She's four weeks and four days old now and I noticed some red on her comb. Does that mean rooster?! I'm hoping not. :(

She's looking pretty dark, thinking pullet. The boys get a double dose of the barring gene and look white with black stripes almost.

To me that red kind of looks more in the face than in the comb. A pic form farther away and able to see the standing profile might help.

Also, how is the behavior inside the group? Does she run around challenging the other chicks a bunch?

Last edited:
Her coloring is dark (pullety), but the redness of her comb and face are concerning. For now, I'm thinking cockerel.

As for behavior, I have more meaner chicks than her. She seems more interested in people than other chicks when I come and hang out.

I think it's definitely a female because from what I have read, female barred rocks have yellow feet with dark spots all over them and males have solid yellow feet. And plus she is really dark which makes me think female.

Last edited:
I think it's definitely a female because from what I have read, female barred rocks have yellow feet with dark spots all over them and males have solid yellow feet. And plus she is really dark which makes me think female.
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

When it comes to hatchery birds... never read that about the feet, just that the legs are dark wash on females... but you get what you get and the birds often do not conform exactly to the SOP (standard of perfection). One of my hatchery girls had me worried for a while because she was quite light in color. And the beaks are supposed to be horn colored, so that black stripe that comes on is not preferred. I was super paranoid it was a bruise forming.
roll.png
But most people will never know or care. I have gotten hatchery birds with the wrong color shanks and even with the wrong comb! Just letting you know...
smile.png

But I agree still, after more pics... that is a pullet!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom