Please tell me this isn't what I think.. Graphic pics. I put her down

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I found this laying by one of my hens tonight. It's crunchier than tissue normally is but, doesn't seem like a bad egg either. I'm afraid it's her overy. What do you guys think?

1-organ.jpg

2_organ.jpg

3_organ.jpg

Last edited:
Well, does it ever happen that a chicken forms within the body of a hen? Like the eggs sticks inside the chicken and she passes it like an egg? I dunno. This looks very strange to me. I don;t know how she could have dislodged and ovary? And, if she had, I would think she would stick out like a small thumb- she'd be acting very odd and bleeding a lot, maybe?
I am so baffled. Please keep us up to date!
Christina

Has she been laying any odd eggs i.e. eggs with no shells or oddly shaped eggs with shells? Anything out of the ordinary at all before this happened?

Could I ask what she is fed?

Holy smokes! I have never seen anything like that. Have you PM'd one of our resident vets ~ amazondoc, perhaps? Or maybe you could send it (or a pic) to your local vet or ag extension office.

I have always understood that chickens (and other birds) only utilize one ovary. The other one exists, but is smaller and somewhat shriveled. Could it possibly ~ strangely ~ be that other, unused ovary?

Please do keep us posted on your girl's condition. And you absolutely HAVE to let us know if you find out for sure what that is!

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom