Please tell me this isn't what I think.. Graphic pics. I put her down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer Kitty, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I found this laying by one of my hens tonight. It's crunchier than tissue normally is but, doesn't seem like a bad egg either. I'm afraid it's her overy. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Is anyones vent bleeding?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dont know, Kitty. I just pulled a crushed soft shell out of the vent of one of my own hens and it looked similar, but that does look like tissue, not shell.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Not bleeding but, very messy with poo.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Well, does it ever happen that a chicken forms within the body of a hen? Like the eggs sticks inside the chicken and she passes it like an egg? I dunno. This looks very strange to me. I don;t know how she could have dislodged and ovary? And, if she had, I would think she would stick out like a small thumb- she'd be acting very odd and bleeding a lot, maybe?
    I am so baffled. Please keep us up to date!
    Christina

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If it's a soft-shelled egg it looks turned inside out.

7. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Has she been laying any odd eggs i.e. eggs with no shells or oddly shaped eggs with shells? Anything out of the ordinary at all before this happened?

Could I ask what she is fed?

8. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    That is absolutely fascinating. How big is it?
    How is the hen?

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Holy smokes! I have never seen anything like that. Have you PM'd one of our resident vets ~ amazondoc, perhaps? Or maybe you could send it (or a pic) to your local vet or ag extension office.

I have always understood that chickens (and other birds) only utilize one ovary. The other one exists, but is smaller and somewhat shriveled. Could it possibly ~ strangely ~ be that other, unused ovary?

Please do keep us posted on your girl's condition. And you absolutely HAVE to let us know if you find out for sure what that is!

Good luck.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Wow, that is really creepy looking. [​IMG]

I have no idea what it it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by