Please tell me what happened**Update 6/17**

Quote:
Oh man, great minds think alike...lol. Look at our time stamps, they are the same...but yours beat mine....
tongue.gif

Pam

I actually *did* think of that....

But, like my husband and friend said, who would break in to our house and steal chicks and leave everything else. I mean maybe a die hard chicken lover but what are the chances!!

Unfortunately, we just had to put my dog of 15 years down 3 weeks ago. Nobody would have gotten in the house when she was around if we were not home.

I have a feeling more animals are going to start coming around the house a lot more without her as well.

That is wierd..........no sign of struggle? ...The prank thing seems like the best answer, other then that i have nooooo idea

Well I,m definitely sorry for your losses. I was thinking you said you live in an old farm house? Many of the older houses were "ballon framing" which means the space in the wall goes from attic to basement. Our house was like that and we had a squirrel get in. Long story I won't go into but, is it possible that this is your house. A snake could live in your house near the foundation and you not know it. Perhaps it just moved in.
Now would be the time to get some "great stuff" and fill in any openings you find. You'd be surprised at how many opening there are.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss. If this was indeed a predation issue, I think a weasel/ermine seems most plausible if you have them in your area - they are tiny little things and quite successful hunters. I've had pet snakes in the past and can't really imagine one small enough to get through those bars eating multiple chicks in a sitting...or an adult rat capable of eating that much making it through. A mother ermine might be the answer. I would keep the chicks in a different area and maybe put a smaller mesh screening around the brooder.

Rats can easily fit through 1" spacing, females especailly because they are built smaller in general (i have 8 ratties lol)

They can also leave no trace of eating things. I had a turtle that 2 females got at once, there was no blood, flesh, disturbance in the bedding, just an empty shell. You would be suprised at what they can do...

I doubt a snake could do it and fit back through, but a rat or two could no problem..

Sorry for your loss, I've had a few go to the rats this year as well, its heartbreaking.

I am not sure about the ballon framing. I will definitely look into it.

No, it's definitely not a prank, guys. I wish it was........

Dulcydoll, do you mean you have seen 8 rats near you or you actually own them as like pets? Sorry- totally off topic but just curious!!!

Well, from your post I am back to leaning towards a rat or rats. *shivering*

I just keep picturing those old black and white clips of rats eating dead people who died of disease or war. Ok. I am really starting to freak myself out. I don't think they would come upstairs and try to eat us while we are sleeping....right?

Oh, no. I thought I was fine but I am back to be horrified. *slaps head*

Also, thanks for your kind comments about my dog. She was the best dog to ever live and I miss her with all my heart.

Last edited:
Are the top and bottom of the brooder cage securely connected? Sometimes those pop apart pretty easily- could a rat or other animal have separated the top from the bottom and taken them out that way?
Patty N. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom