Plywood alternatives

Pics

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!

Osb is still higher than it usta be but I dont see it going back down to $10-12 again. Here in west TN its 17.50 a board and if put on 2 or 3 coats of exterior paint it will hold up just fine, a coop I made with osb in 2012 had 3 coats of of exterior paint and its still 100% with no sign of any decay. If I added a new coat every 4 or 5 years I bet itd last a lifetime. As far as the asphalt board Idk anything about it, but best of luck!

My pre-fab joke coop is caving in and needs to be replaced before winter sets in here in Tennessee. And of course wood prices are sky high still. I'm in search of plywood alternatives. I currently have 3 silkies so my goal is to make the coop area large enough that when it is wet out they can hang out in the coop and have plenty of room.
I've begun a 9.5'x4' foundation...then when it came to the flooring and walls I just cant see paying nearly $30 for 4x8 sheet of plywood!
I found this and wanted to see what yall thought and if anyone had ever tried using it before for similar projects.
1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Southern Pine Asphalt Impregnated Board
My thinking is this would hopefully suffice for sound structure and weather proof (even a little sound proof for my roo) until i come across old barnwood or something like i really would prefer to cover it with in the future.
thank u for your help!!!
I recently read an article that plywood prices are coming down. The shortage started over a year ago and saw mills started producing to try and reap more profits. I build a small camper and a 3/4" 4 x 8 sheet was $56 in April, its now down to about $30. You might check around.
If you are interested in an alternative maybe consider the galvanized metal panels. They are 26" x 8' and last a very long time before they start to rust. I think they are about $14 each. You could make a 4' x 8' x 26" high coup out of 6 sheets. I learned they can be cut on a table saw with an old blade, but wear safety glass because metal pieces will fly. Maybe allowing the roof panels to be opened would let you collect eggs.

I built mine with Hardieboard. Normally more expensive than plywood, when lumber prices rose, it was slow to follow. Concrete and fiberglass, its in it for the VERY long haul. Great moisture resistance. HARD on tools.

If you are making a long term investment, it may be worth it. Short term, thin metal roofing panels are a quick fix, but there are definite concerns cutting them and cleanin up the edges later. Best if you work in lengths you don't need to cut.

Can you leave out flooring, and have a dirt floor? With good drainage (necessary anyway) and a dig proof skirt, it's a very good base for your bedding.
Consider calling around to home builders, ask about scrap lumber at building sites. And maybe a garden shed on craigslist?
You might get lucky and have someone replacing an old deck, more useful materials.
And those pallets, free for the labor.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom