Plz Plz Help (eggs left cold in the first day for 9 hours)

Chelsea-85

Songster
Dec 24, 2018
Kurdistan
Hi everyone,

I have a broody pullet sitting on 9 eggs. I set her up like the following:

I put 9 eggs under her on Saturday at 20:00 (23.02.2019)
On Sunday (yesterday) morning (24.02.2019), she came out for food at 08:00, but the door of the small nest accidentally closed (I wasn't there and I didn't know, I was at work).
The eggs were left open and cold from 08:00 until 17:00 when I came back to home. I found the broody outside waiting for the door to be opened.
I touched the eggs, they were cold because they were left cold for 9 hours. She went back on them.

Is there any possibility that they hatch? Or should I replace them by new eggs?

Btw, I candled the eggs, the air sac was seen clearly in most of the eggs (although I know candling eggs after less than one day is useless).

Please, help. I appreciate your cooperation.

What us your weather like? If the eggs didn't freeze, they should be just fine. This early on, it'll be just like the hen is still collecting eggs. I'd count Sunday when you let her in as the time you set the eggs.

Don't forget to fix the door so it doesn't happen again!

What us your weather like? If the eggs didn't freeze, they should be just fine. This early on, it'll be just like the hen is still collecting eggs. I'd count Sunday when you let her in as the time you set the eggs.

Don't forget to fix the door so it doesn't happen again!
Thank you very much dear. Actually weather here in Kurdistan is cold a bit. At day time it is about 45 Fahrenheit. I am concerned about the air sac in the eggs. Is it ok? or they became dirty from the beginning?

45 degrees should not be a concern at all. Many people have hatched eggs that have been in the fridge for days.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the air sac is a concern. Does it look dirty inside the egg when you candled? Or is the shell dirty? Where are the eggs from? How old are they?

45 degrees should not be a concern at all. Many people have hatched eggs that have been in the fridge for days.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the air sac is a concern. Does it look dirty inside the egg when you candled? Or is the shell dirty? Where are the eggs from? How old are they?
Dear, what I am worried about is that (The eggs were under the hen for about 12 hours, then cooled for 9 hours, then again put under her) is that bad for the eggs?

Regarding the air cell, I saw air cell in most of the eggs, but before putting them under her I didn't see the air cell. (I mean the air cell created under the broody when she sat on them for about 12 hours, then cooled, and put under her again once more). It is possible for eggs to have air cell for that duration of time?

No, dear they do not look dirty inside and the shell is clean. I bought 7 from a guaranteed shop and 2 fresh eggs from the pullet herself (laid before 4 and 5 days)

The air cell develops as the egg gets older and loses moisture; it has nothing to do with development. If you think about an old egg you are going to eat, you can see the air cell has developed in the shell even if the egg isn't fertile. Sounds like you have nothing at all to worry about!

The air cell develops as the egg gets older and loses moisture; it has nothing to do with development. If you think about an old egg you are going to eat, you can see the air cell has developed in the shell even if the egg isn't fertile. Sounds like you have nothing at all to worry about!
Thank you so much my friend, actually your comment soothed me :)

You mean nothing serious happened to the eggs during that period of time (less than 24 hours)?

Back
Top Bottom