Polish hen acting like neck is broken VIDEO

Here chicky chicky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3Y1ktsgRw

HI
- We have a polish hen who is acting like her head is too heavy to hold up, or her neck is injured or broken.
She will look up/ hold her head up for about 30 seconds, and then her head will begin to lower forward until its on the ground.
She acts very much like she has a neck injury, and Im no expert, but my guess is maybe the big polish roo decided to get rough when attempting to mate.
Its pretty severe. She lays down, head down, beak down most of the time. She looks dead. (Shes in a box in the kitchen so Im watching her)
If I shake the box, she pops her head up, but after a few seconds it falls back down.

Not interested in food or water. Im forcing water with a dropper.

Any ideas???
Thank you.

EDIT: She is eating! I gave her a chunk of baked potato and corn yesterday and she woudln touch it. Shes in there pecking at it now!

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be pretty far advanced wry neck(barring an injury).
I would try adding PolyViSol(without iron), Vitamin E(the gel kind) and Selenium to water and forcing some down the beak with an eye dropper.
Good luck to you!

Quote:
I had never heard of that, so thank you. I googled it and found a video online and she doesnt act like that. The bird in the video was a little hyper with a "bent" neck. BUT it did give me an idea of making a video of her to show! I will do that and post it on you tube and post the link here.

I love this forum btw. I always get great advice! Thank you!
Maybe one day I can GIVE some advice.
In a long long time
wink.png

Awwww poor baby-I watched your video-not sure when I first read your post I thought it was wry neck too because I just lived through that 2 months ago-before I found out my pullet had wry neck thought it was worms-someone at my feed store had talked to alot of friends and they all said she had worms-because of her neck hanging so I dewormed her but didnt help then I found out she had wry neck-it doesnt look like wry neck to me-worms maybe-they told me it doesnt hurt to deworm them-maybe you'd want to try that-hope she gets better!!!!!

You know, I read a thread a while ago on crested ducks being more prone to genetic neurological problems than non-crested varieties. I wonder if it could be the same with the chickens with the crests?

Back
Top Bottom