Polish/Silkie and Barred Rock/Silkies - Hen or Roo?

MotleyCru

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2021
My white crested polish hatched 5 chicks (some are hers and some are from my barred rock) with my buff silkie roo. They hatched on July 16th so are about 8 weeks old. Looking for help sexing them as I am new to the game!

1 - Thinking this is a Roo, comb and wattle are red and much larger than the rest
2 - The only of this color :) I think its a hen. My roo (last pick) is buff, do you think this one will stay this color or lighten up?
3 - Unsure
4 - Unsure
5 - I will try to get a better picture of this barred chick. Has a small comb (silkie looking comb) but is more pink than red at at this point

Thank you in advance!
roo.jpg
Golden.jpg
Mottled.jpg
all black with Genie.jpg
5 chicks and Genie.jpg
Jareth the Goblin King.jpg

You are right about 1 and 2. 1 is a cockerel, 2 is a pullet. #4 is a pullet. That leaves 3 and 5, both of which are questionable. My hunch is that 3 is a pullet and 5 is a cockerel, but I think you will need to wait a while longer to know for sure on those two.

You are right about 1 and 2. 1 is a cockerel, 2 is a pullet. #4 is a pullet. That leaves 3 and 5, both of which are questionable. My hunch is that 3 is a pullet and 5 is a cockerel, but I think you will need to wait a while longer to know for sure on those two.
Agreed😊
Beautiful babies. I love these types of crosses.

My white crested polish hatched 5 chicks (some are hers and some are from my barred rock) with my buff silkie roo. They hatched on July 16th so are about 8 weeks old. Looking for help sexing them as I am new to the game!

1 - Thinking this is a Roo, comb and wattle are red and much larger than the rest
2 - The only of this color :) I think its a hen. My roo (last pick) is buff, do you think this one will stay this color or lighten up?
3 - Unsure
4 - Unsure
5 - I will try to get a better picture of this barred chick. Has a small comb (silkie looking comb) but is more pink than red at at this point

Thank you in advance!
View attachment 2835141View attachment 2835143View attachment 2835144View attachment 2835147View attachment 2835148View attachment 2835150
Wait is number 5 the silkie looking bird or the barred bird? You said # was the barred chicken but it is only in that group picture, it doesn't have a single picture. I was guessing #5 as a cockerel for the silkie one at the bottom.

But the barred one in the group pic still looks like a cockerel.

Wait is number 5 the silkie looking bird or the barred bird? You said # was the barred chicken but it is only in that group picture, it doesn't have a single picture. I was guessing #5 as a cockerel for the silkie one at the bottom.

But the barred one in the group pic still looks like a cockerel.
#5 is the barred bird. I don't have a good solo picture but will post once I have one.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom