Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our friend's hen, Maxine.

We really like this breed, they are friendly and so fun to watch! We had a WCB named Midnight we loved, but she mysteriously passed away ~6 mos. with no sign of illness :-(. After 2 hatchery orders for sexed hens resulting in 5 roos we've decided to try hatching some eggs next month from a breeder in hopes of getting a frizzle polish. My oldest daughter is really excited about this project, and has buyers lined up for any resulting roos!

The SLP above is named Maxine, she belongs to a friend who orders with us. She came from My Pet Chicken [as did our Midnight], my kids love to go visit her---she's one cool bird!

Our last order [with all the roos] was from Meyer, we did end up with one WC blue pullet and are keeping one of the SLP roos. Neither are very pretty right now at 13 weeks/awkward teenager stage. The SLP roo has a seriously lopsided crest and the blue girl has a small crest with more blue than white right now.

Also, it's been a great help seeing all the pics of different age Polish and their traits to help sex them. If I had read this thread sooner I would have picked up on ours being a roo quite a bit sooner!

thanks - so far they have been scooping under side as that way if Cotton isn't in mood her wings aren't actually restricted - she slips out of hands very easily - before being perched onto a wrist - again so she's hopping straight down as she feels like - this was how the breeder showed me (and the kids) to pick them up

Yes, very good. However, holding the chicken the way your photos show is asking for a surprised human to suddenly squeeze to hold the chicken from the reproductive sides when her wings slip out. At least everyone is low to the ground in your photos so the chicken doesn't have far to hop or fall.

Until adults or humans are used to chickens the scooping from the front is the way to accustom both humans and chickens of the maneuver. A couple of our hens didn't like the scooping at first but after several dedicated times are now accustomed to the security of the maneuver. This is how show judges want chickens trained when they are judging. Others who are very accustomed to chickens won't have the urge to squeeze to hold onto a flapping chicken or know enough about how to hold them to give fowl the feeling of security.

Cotton is adorable. Polish was in the running when we were considering a gentle under 5-lb bird laying white eggs. It was between Polish, Crevecoeur, and Breda. We already have two crested/bearded chickens (Silkies) and decided on a no-crest gentle Breda for a novelty. My friend loves Polish but as an egg-seller opted for the Leghorns, Marans, EEs, and Ameraucanas as layers. So many breeds we want and only so much room darn it!

Ohhhhh I so want a silver laced!!!!! My eggs go into lock down tomorrow! !!! My 2 babies are getting big but talk about skittish!!!! The minute they hear us coming they are flying about the brooder trying to hide :(

My young chicken had a fluffy afro and now it is turning into feathers. it is about 3 weeks old and is white. I dont have any pics so try to identify it with the info i have

I just hatched some wcb polish chicks, as I havn't had this breed before I was wondering if there is any way of sexing them as day olds or do I just have to wait and see?
Also, is it normal for their wing feathers to start coming through white, will they turn black?

Thanks...=]

Back
Top Bottom