Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO my chicks are now about a month old and they are somewhat buff laced. one of them had leakage of black in its crest and the other is a very pastel buff color...meaning its almost white with slight lacing. they are so fun! they are great to watch too!

since a broody raised them its a bit harder to hold them but that should get bettr. it was about time they had a name.....im thinking both are hens so I named one cailo.

if one is a roo I should be seeing saddle feathers now right?

I have a golden laced polish rooster for sale, he has won reserve best and best of variety at the sunshine classic in lake city. I am selling him because I have too many chickens. He is really a beautiful bird, and would be great for anyone who likes to show chickens. I want him to go to a good home. He is $75

SO my chicks are now about a month old and they are somewhat buff laced. one of them had leakage of black in its crest and the other is a very pastel buff color...meaning its almost white with slight lacing. they are so fun! they are great to watch too!

since a broody raised them its a bit harder to hold them but that should get bettr. it was about time they had a name.....im thinking both are hens so I named one cailo.

if one is a roo I should be seeing saddle feathers now right?

Not yet. At four weeks it's too soon for the saddle feathers to come in. Another two weeks and they will show you what they are. I have a batch that are the same age, I'm waiting with you. Not patiently, but waiting.

Not yet. At four weeks it's too soon for the saddle feathers to come in. Another two weeks and they will show you what they are. I have a batch that are the same age, I'm waiting with you. Not patiently, but waiting.
ACTUAILLY they hatched april 28th ish. so they are about 2 months old. should I already tell if one is a roo?

ALSO I have a jap roo in the pen with them. would I see fighting if there is a roo? none of them have spurs growing like my other roos at that age had. my jap roo protects them and never means harm.

**ill post pictures later

Last edited:
At 8 weeks yes, you should be able to tell. A roo should have a spikey crest, while a hen should be rounded. My Polish roo's didn't fight at all, and didn't defend themselves against silkie roos. They just ran away. We have one adult Polish roo right now, he's a bit over a year old and just has little bumps, no spurs.

Please post pics when you can.

Quote: Well, one of my 2 LF pullets no longer submits to the matriarch Silkie. As I was saying before the tables can always turn with gentle pullets becoming aggressive at maturity. Our Ameraucana is still submissive to the Silkie matriarch but the Buff Leg got aggressive this past week completely pulling out the beard to the skin of the Ameraucana's throat and started pulling on the Silkies' crests next. We rehomed her this past weekend as I can't have vicious dominance challenges like that around the gentle breeds. Since she's rehomed the other 3 gentle souls pal around together now without fear of being hurtfully attacked. The Buff Leg was calmer in nature than the White Leg we used to have but when the Buff found she could bully others she relished the power in a hurtful way. At least she is in an egg laying flock now and not in freezer camp because she's a gorgeous bird. Heavy dual purpose LF and Mediterranean breeds seem too aggressive for gentle-natured or smaller/bantam breeds.
It is fascinating to me the personalities! I only have one bird that I would consider aggressive, and it's one of my RIRs. She doesn't bother anyone in her flock, but she has taken on the role of protector in the absence of a roo. It has made for some challenges introducing new birds.

Now that these boogers are a little older is there any way you guys could help me tell the sex ? They are 6 weeks old.

Does this help at all? This is the buff fighting (playing) with my EE rooster. Do females have this kind of behavior also?

Now that these boogers are a little older is there any way you guys could help me tell the sex ? They are 6 weeks old.

Does this help at all? This is the buff fighting (playing) with my EE rooster. Do females have this kind of behavior also?
Love the bottom picture great shot! The top picture of the buff looks like some red wattles coming in so I would guess Rooster. Middle one not sure on but possible hen.

Back
Top Bottom