poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

Looks like I'll be an outlaw. I'm in the process of buying a house, with a good amount of land, but sadly, there's no chickens allowed. Of course, the codes officer I talked to said I should just get them anyways, and just hope I don't get caught. He told me this off the record. I'm pretty sure I can hide them- I've got a nice and big fence.

Is ignorance of the law applicable in this case?
roll.png

Quote:
Hey hey, don't be too hasty. Having a coop riiiiight on the property line, with the door facing YOUR side for care and access (coop on their side) ain't to shabby of a compromise. I've seen it. Nobody cared, no bickering, no hard feelings.............just be generous with your eggs, share a dz. here or there, no worries.

My family lives in a rural area outside city limits, way outside in a different county, so I'm pretty sure we can do pretty much anything as far as chickens are concerned. I don't think there are really any restrictions on anything like that, but it does cause problems as there are random dogs wandering through our property at times. No way we can let the chickens out in the yard unless someone's home to watch them. We had the same problem when we had rabbits in the past.

I am most definitely an outlaw. It was my husband's idea to get chicks and we didn't look up the local ordinance beforehand. Once we had them ordered but they weren't shipped yet, my parents said we should look into if it was legal to keep them in the city. Well, it's not, and I called to try to cancel my order for the chicks but they couldn't cancel it. I figured we'd just keep them until we were forced to give them up and take them to live with some relatives.

But I had NO idea then how much I would fall in love with these chicks! I was a total city girl until they came along and now all I want to do is live on a farm with a bunch of animals! A few months ago we put our house up for sale in hopes that we can get a place in the country with some land. But until then, I'm an outlaw and I hope that no one rats me out! They will be a year old this August and we haven't had any complaints so far, so hopefully it will stay that way. *fingers crossed*

I looked up the city codes I could find, but they didn't mention poultry. My mom works at the animal shelter so she asked one of the animal control guys and he said it was legal to keep some for eggs and meat in the city limits. I think they just don't want people raising them for cock fighting.

I don't live in a fancy neighborhood, but we do have a lot of retirees that apparently have quite a bit of time on their hands, so I'm trying to be careful not to provoke them in any way. I will almost certainly want more than the three hens I currently have, but I'm not sure how many I can have legally and I'm afraid to even think about getting a roo. I have had one neighbor say he thinks the chickens are nice, but have heard nothing from any of the others. Yet.

If it turns out they all love the idea, then I will be a little more brave.

If they decide to give me a hard time, I will tell them it's our house, we pay the taxes, the insurance, etc, we aren't breaking any laws or hurting anybody, but if they want to make it an issue, I'll get rid of the chickens plow my garden under, and march myself and my four kids right down to the foodstamp office (we found out recently that my husband is probably losing his job in two weeks).

Okay, I won't really say that. I'd be really tempted, but my mother raised me to be polite to a fault.

WOW,

Look at the instant list that some doogooder can use to go bring used chicken food down on your own heads. Remember folks in this economy govt entities are looking to FINE people for anything. They need the money.

Why post ? its like putting the stack of empty beer cans on your dashboard and the rear deck so the cops can see what you have been drinking.

just saying...

Back
Top Bottom