Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

This is how it was explained to me:
Buff is a sexlinked recessive gene in geese.
If you mate a buff gander to a grey female you should get 100% buff females and 100% grey males.
If you mate a grey gander (not carrying buff) to a buff female you should get 100% grey offspring, but the males are carrying the buff gene. If you mate them to a grey female you should get 50% buff females. Mating a split to buff male to a buff female will result in buff offspring, but I am not sure if it is 100%...I think it is.

A female always shows the buff gene if she has it (unless she is white), a male can be a carrier while not showing it.

Also see the goose calculator via http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#ganscalculator

BTW their are solid color Pomeranians: They are just not admitted to the A.P.A. standard (see photo of a remnant flock of Brian Paul Witts birds below). Also, being a Pomeranian is more than the saddleback pattern and color. It is the single lobe, size, blue eyes, and bill/leg color.

This is interesting to me. If I can find just 1 buff, I could end up with a bunch of buffs. I love the solid color birds, even if they are not APA approved. Pink and gray is one of my favorite color combinations.
smile.png
I wonder if I bred predominately gray birds if I could end up with a solid bird eventually. The birds in the photo are beautiful. I love Poms.
love.gif

cindy

Cindy,

This is a flock I located in Washington State: The owner sent me several photos and the birds are just gorgeous (not by show bird standards, but by farm gate standards). I am trying to convince the owner he needs to sell me some hatching eggs in the spring.
They would be project birds only and kept separate from my saddleback flock. However, I think they are gorgeous and wouldn't mind keeping the heritage style birds to preserve them: It would be a real shame for them to be lost to us.

Cindy,

This is a flock I located in Washington State: The owner sent me several photos and the birds are just gorgeous (not by show bird standards, but by farm gate standards). I am trying to convince the owner he needs to sell me some hatching eggs in the spring.
They would be project birds only and kept separate from my saddleback flock. However, I think they are gorgeous and wouldn't mind keeping the heritage style birds to preserve them: It would be a real shame for them to be lost to us.
Next time you contact him, tell him there is someone else who is interested. Just look at the pink in those birds! I don't think they have been crossed at all.

cindy

Cindy: Will do, but if he is resistant at all, I'll just add extra eggs to my order and forward them to you. I won't know anything till next spring sometime after they start laying. He wants to make sure that he is getting enough eggs, etc before making a final decision. If he won't sell next year, I will keep asking every year till he does!

His birds were purchased several years ago from a flock that used to be raised by Brian Paul Witt in SC (he gave his flock to a relative and does not give out their information): Except for one gander, which was purchased from Holderread's.

They are a closed flock and are the only geese he has ever owned, so the only crossing that has happened is between the different colors. He has quite a large flock now: I think he told me that he had around 30 goslings born this spring. He just built them a proper barn and was going to start actually trying to do something with them...i.e. pair them off for proper breeding etc.

The owner used to be big in the Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities. However, he got very busy with work and then moving from Oklahoma to Washington (took his whole flock with him...bless his soul). So anyway, it would be awesome to lay our hands on some of these. Even if they can't be shown, they'd make some gorgeous pasture ornaments.

The Solid Buffs in that picture are GORGEOUS!

Yes, they certainly are. Not only are the beautiful, but every one of his birds has the completely pink/flesh colored bills and legs. No matter how much he asks for the eggs..if he will sell them to me, I am getting as many as possible. It is a shame that such gorgeous birds could end up extinct in the States because they can't be shown.

Okay, it stopped raining long enough for me to get a couple pictures of the bills on a male and female (still dark and overcast, which made for poor photo quality). The pictured birds are 6 and 1/2 months old, so basically are adult. The ones pictured aren't necessarily the best marked birds I have, but they were the only ones willing to cooperate for pictures. I haven't been able to catch the right shots of the two babies yet, but will keep trying.

On the left we have Donut, who is female and on the right is Church a male. You can see that the male's bill seems thicker and more stout, especially toward the tip.

Here are photos of some bills from the front. The difference here is much more subtle: The length from the nostril to the bean at the tip of the bill is longer on the ganders and this section is also wider.

Female:

Male:

Female:

Oh and unrelated, but here is the lone pink solid billed Pomeranian I have from this year's goslings. He hatched from Kawonu's eggs for Celtic and she kindly sold him to me. I am going to try to put him with the goose pictured directly above.

Last edited:
Yes, they certainly are. Not only are the beautiful, but every one of his birds has the completely pink/flesh colored bills and legs. No matter how much he asks for the eggs..if he will sell them to me, I am getting as many as possible. It is a shame that such gorgeous birds could end up extinct in the States because they can't be shown.
We can still show them, just not in the Pilgrim classification. I was talking to Celtic Oaks about the colored Sebbies and even though they are not standard, they can be shown. In fact she said that showing them helps get them into the standard. I hope this guy has a great laying season. I will start saving money now.

cindy

Back
Top Bottom