Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

All my geese are getting a nasal exam tomorrow.
smile.png

Mrs Magoo, did you get in a boat to take those pictures? They are really clear. Thank you for taking the time to get them for us.

cindy

The pond isn't that big and my camera has a really good zoom!

My goslings are 3 months old now and are starting to get their feathers on their necks. Some of them are loosing the gray on their necks and white feathers are coming in. Yeah!

I am concerned about the feathers on their backs. Many of them seem to be getting brown feathers. They are also keeping their orange bills. I am starting to think that I was sold a mix as purebreeds.

Cindy

Pink beak and feet is a recessive trait in geese. I have noticed that they all appear to hatch with pink beaks and feet, but unless they carry both the recessives they will turn orange. They don't turn from orange to pink.
I have 6 geese from the same parents, all have pink feet, but only one has a really pink beak. Since that is the only one that carries two recessives, that is the only one that can be bred?

cindy

However, the orange bill can have a pink tip, which will become more predominate with age.

Almost all my Poms have some orange on their bills and a few I hatched from Kawonu have it on their legs and feet as well: Thus far all the ones from my birds have pink/salmon colored legs and feet with the reddish/orange bleeding to pink bills. I have one lone gander hatched from Kawonus eggs that that has both a pink bill and legs.

Also, as to the feathering.....I wouldn't give up hope just yet. My four month olds are just now starting to get what I would consider their adult feathers. Many of them have had wonky markings that have substantially cleared up and are becoming more clear and distinct. Their are enough feathers on the ground by my two ponds to make a couple complete pillows...lol. The juveniles are constantly getting new feathers.

Hello, I am new to Pomeranian geese. I have what has been sold to me as a pomeranian saddle back gander. Im not sure if this is normal or not but he has what I would say is a buff head and a short buff neckcolor, the rest of his pattern on his wings etc. is gray. Is this normal? I got him to use on a group of white and splash Sebastopol geese that I have to see if I will get the saddleback pattern on them. Im not sure how to post on this site. Thanks for any information.

However, the orange bill can have a pink tip, which will become more predominate with age.
The bean or the tip of the beak in an orange beaked geese is not orange like the majority of the beak. On all orange beaked geese (embdens, toulouse, american buffs, pilgrims, white chinese, romans, and sebastopols) are described in Oscar Grow's book Modern Waterfowl Magagement and Breeding Guide as having beans that are "white flesh tinted, whitish flesh-colored, white flesh colored, whitish-flesh-colored, white flesh-colored, white, and whitish flesh-colored respectively. The pink tip you are seeing is the orange norm. I bred pommeranians for a number of years and my main breeding gander was a pink recessive bird while all the hens I had were orange dominant birds. I kept young hens fathered by him to breed back knowing that the daughter would carry the recessive and if passed along it would couple with the gander's and there would be pink beaked descendants. Those goslings who did not get the recessive from the mother developed orange beaks. Not once did I ever see the a beak go from orange to pink.

However, the orange bill can have a pink tip, which will become more predominate with age. Almost all my Poms have some orange on their bills and a few I hatched from Kawonu have it on their legs and feet as well: Thus far all the ones from my birds have pink/salmon colored legs and feet with the reddish/orange bleeding to pink bills. I have one lone gander hatched from Kawonus eggs that that has both a pink bill and legs. Also, as to the feathering.....I wouldn't give up hope just yet. My four month olds are just now starting to get what I would consider their adult feathers. Many of them have had wonky markings that have substantially cleared up and are becoming more clear and distinct. Their are enough feathers on the ground by my two ponds to make a couple complete pillows...lol. The juveniles are constantly getting new feathers.
Looks like we have a bunch of selective breeding to do MrsMagoo. I know the feathers will not be true until after their first molt. My embden goose didn't get rid of her gray until she was over a year old. I will work on type if these end up being single lobed, so I will know they are real poms. Color will come later.

Isn't it amazing how many feathers they loose. A friend came by my house and asked if a predator had gotten one of my birds there were so many feathers.

cindy

Hello, I am new to Pomeranian geese. I have what has been sold to me as a pomeranian saddle back gander. Im not sure if this is normal or not but he has what I would say is a buff head and a short buff neckcolor, the rest of his pattern on his wings etc. is gray. Is this normal? I got him to use on a group of white and splash Sebastopol geese that I have to see if I will get the saddleback pattern on them. Im not sure how to post on this site. Thanks for any information.
nagid, I would direct this question to the Sebastopol group under the goose section. They are very active, and many have saddlebacks. I am new to poms, and have young birds, but mine have mixed color feathers at this point. How old is your pom?

cindy

Back
Top Bottom