Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

You can see my roosts - all one level and above a tray which holds a bag of Sweet PDZ. I scoop it about once every-other day with a kitty litter scooper and it takes me all of 5 minutes. Sometimes they miss the tray and poop around the edges, but it's easily scraped up with a spackling scraper from Lowes. Since I put linoleum on their floor - that clean-up is easy too. There is virtually no smell inside the coop - even if I leave it for several days without cleaning. The chickens will walk in the poop tray, but rarely. The PDZ seems to dry droppings out pretty quickly, so I've not had a problem with poopy chicken feet. The other half of the coop floor is covered in pine shavings. I churn those up about once a week - there is some poop in their shavings, but not much since they are usually roosting when in their coop and out in the run the rest of their days. I bought the tray at the local Tractor Supply store - it was in the section with rabbit hutches and dog kennels. They had three different sizes so I picked the one that fit best in our coop and then built the roosts to fit right over it. Don't know if you can tell from the photo, but the tray fits pretty exactly underneath the roosts. The roost stand has a lip on the front to be a "stopper" for the tray and also serves to hold the shavings in place. I rarely have them mixed into the PDZ. If need be I can slide the tray and the roost stand out of the coop pretty easily for deeper cleaning. All in all, we're happy with the design and functionality.
This coop is a great design. I have one suggestion; Change out your roosts to a wider board, 2x4's allow the chickens to sit on their feet, keeping them warmer in winter. otherwise, cool design.

This coop is a great design. I have one suggestion; Change out your roosts to a wider board, 2x4's allow the chickens to sit on their feet, keeping them warmer in winter. otherwise, cool design.
Thanks for the positive feedback. Before putting this together I did research on both round and flat roost designs and it seemed to me that round won out since it mimics the natural form of a tree branch more so than a 2x4 does. I read that due to the construction of their feet/legs/tendons within that round may be better. They seem to like it so far - but I'll reserve judgement and see how this winter treats them. It's easy enough to change things up if need be. I appreciate your suggestion though!

Last edited:
Liked the poop boards, really loved the interior of the coop. Do you have a picture of it from outside you would share?
Thanks

I love my poop boards. Thanks to the great people sharing on this site. With the poop boards and sweet PDZ, my coop does not smell, and with 18 birds it takes me about twenty minutes once a week to clean it out. Working around 65 hours a week time is of a premium so I am looking for something bigger than a cat scoop that I can put a finer screen on to get the finer stuff faster. Mine is 33" deep and 10' long. The picture is from before I painted, added two support boards in the center of the roost boards and three cross over boards.

Quote: If you look closely at my post, you'll see I quoted and was actually asking @sueiris because of the hinged front on their boards.

I sift mine out too, I use a metal mesh office organizer basket.....but certainly don't got thru a whole bag of PDZ in 3-4 weeks, more like 4-6 months , but I mix with sand too.
You can see mine here.

@aartoops I wondered why you were asking since I know you have been at this a lot longer than I have. I think I did not put enough in originally so I used more. How much sand do you mix in?

Back
Top Bottom