Poop board & roost ...

I use the plastic boot tray also, cover it with newspaper for easy cleanup.
Shake the poop off the newspaper into the compost bin, throw the newspaper away.
With only 4 girls it's manageable.
100196_imag0055.jpg
100196_imag0054.jpg

Hi, Here is a variation on the poop "board" that we use. Very easy to clean. Hope this helps.

69010_coop-new_roost-girls_pics_002.jpg
Simple 2" x 2" framework with old cafeteria trays on top of framework to collect the poop at night when chickens are sleeping. Trays are lightweight, made of plastic and easy to clean into a tote to carry out to compost pile.

69010_20_2.jpg
Close up shot.

Hope this helps.
Erik

Hi, Here is a variation on the poop "board" that we use. Very easy to clean. Hope this helps.

Okay, fireguy, your coop is way too clean -- even I could live/sleep in there. So jealous!
wink.png

Oh know what would work great? I saw some plastic boot trays (for wet boots in the mud room) at the dollar store. They were roughly 1' x 2'. At least a good trial material.

I love the feeder you made, what materials did you use to cap the top? I've tried a screw on top but it keeps getting wet inside.
Thanks,
Katherine

I use the plastic boot tray also, cover it with newspaper for easy cleanup.
Shake the poop off the newspaper into the compost bin, throw the newspaper away.
With only 4 girls it's manageable.
100196_imag0055.jpg
frow.gif
Might be a silly question but do you keep the paper on there for more than 1 day if so how to you keep the chickens from tearing it up? LOL My run is not finished yet (long story, doing it myself..I'm disabled) and my girls would love to pick at that to shread it.
lau.gif
LOL..... I've got the boot tray already, may go get another one today to make sure its all covered!

I change the paper every day. You are right, the girls would tear it up. I try to put the paper in about the same time they go to roost, then take it out first thing in the morning. I do less composting than before so just fold up the papers and throw everything away. I use shavings in the hutch and this method keeps the shavings clean. Cleanup is very easy and quick.
The girls only go in the hutch to roost or use the nest boxes, spent most of the time in the coop (6' X 9') on sand or the run (4' X 25') on dirt.
Good luck on the run.

I change the paper every day. You are right, the girls would tear it up. I try to put the paper in about the same time they go to roost, then take it out first thing in the morning. I do less composting than before so just fold up the papers and throw everything away. I use shavings in the hutch and this method keeps the shavings clean. Cleanup is very easy and quick.
The girls only go in the hutch to roost or use the nest boxes, spent most of the time in the coop (6' X 9') on sand or the run (4' X 25') on dirt.
Good luck on the run.
frow.gif
Tks,,,,,I've been spending time today on cleaning the sand in the coop. Not difficult, just time consuming.. I use a sieve get the waste out of it...works really well. I just wish my ladies would not mess everything up in between my trips to the compost pile.
lau.gif
.LOL...they get great pleasure going behind my back even before I get the bucket filled... While I'm sifting...they are picking thru my waste bucket..
wee.gif
On tip toes even
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom