Poor lil lavender silkie :(

Where are you located? Texas?

I've faced plenty of power failures when I've been brooding chicks. It pays to have a plan B in case of electrical failure. An old fashioned hot water bottle or even a couple of Gatoraid bottles filled with hot water and place in the brooder will supply heat. I've had to get out of a warm bed when the power has failed and taken a hot water bottle to my baby chicks. I brood outdoor in my run, and it can get down into the 30s at night.

In some cases, the chicks were under a heating pad head source, and even though the heating pad wasn't on, the setup stayed warm enough that the chicks were fine, even though the power going off failed to wake me up.

A heat lamp can't do that when it's gone off. If you have some sort of huddle box (Google it) the chicks can huddle together and keep warmer in a box than out in the open. Or check out brooding the Mama Heating Pad way. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Most of us here understand the queasy grief you're feeling. I've lost baby chicks in even more gruesome ways, and it can be devastating. Just know that each day it will hurt less until one day, probably a few weeks from now, it will be a manageable memory.

I totally understand. I lost my 2 miracle babies about a month ago. Their mom died so I hatched the only 4 eggs she laid. And I got Nug Nug and Downy. Then the gnats came unexpectedly and killed them both. Then a hen died the next day. Its been hard! But we can get through it together.

I’m soo sorry for you loss. A while ago I lost my baby foxtrot she just did not grow at 4 months she was the same size as a few day old chick. She got very sick And pasted away in my hands. It’s heart breaking to lose them. In soo soo sorry. I hope your other baby dose well. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom