Pop door open 24/7.

Open or close?

• Open 24/7

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • NOT open 24/7

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
I'm just now seeing this, so sorry! Thanks for the tag though. I would say it's fine, you have an awesome set up. And if the birds go in on their own at night that's even better. I leave the pop doors open in my pens 24-7 in the summer and fall. Nothing has ever gotten in. All of my predator deaths occurred while free-ranging and when a dog decided to tear into a poorly made prefab coop. The birds were shut in the coop, but it still got in.
If you feel safe leaving the pop door open I'd say that's totally fine. I would if it were my setup. In the winter you might want to close them up at night though, predators can get desperate when it's cold.
No worries! Thanks to the reply!!

No worries! Thanks to the reply!!
You're welcome! I just see it as, if your birds go in and roost on their own anyway, and a predator wants them bad enough to break into the run, a little wooden or tin door isn't going to stop them. I think your run looks plenty safe, and I'm sure your birds know the roosting drill by now.

It looks great! Wondering though, does the dig barrier need to buried? I only ask because my hubby and I have been struggling to dig down 4 inches to bury ours. :barnie
I used bricks for mine. They're tougher than wire, and might be easier for you to work with.

You're welcome! I just see it as, if your birds go in and roost on their own anyway, and a predator wants them bad enough to break into the run, a little wooden or tin door isn't going to stop them. I think your run looks plenty safe, and I'm sure your birds know the roosting drill by now.
Yes! They do go into roost on their own. It’s so interesting to watch them around that time. Lately it seems likes it’s just as the last sliver of daylight disappears over the horizon and they all at once go inside and hop up on the roost. I’ve had them out there for several months now and where I live we have straw dogs, coyotes, foxes, feral cats, coins and possums. I walk around the enclosed run every day and have yet to see any signs of an attempted breach. Thanks!

Yes! They do go into roost on their own. It’s so interesting to watch them around that time. Lately it seems likes it’s just as the last sliver of daylight disappears over the horizon and they all at once go inside and hop up on the roost. I’ve had them out there for several months now and where I live we have straw dogs, coyotes, foxes, feral cats, coins and possums. I walk around the enclosed run every day and have yet to see any signs of an attempted breach. Thanks!
Sounds good then! I know, it's crazy that they known to do that every evening. Mine always go in almost at 8:00 o'clock on the dot. It's funny to watch them. Then they thrash around for a good ten minutes or so while everyone finds the "perfect spot". Lol

Back
Top Bottom