Porcelain Pyncheon PICS

The girls do tend to have the bigger tassles, but not always. I have a really cute male growing out with a huge one. I like to have the male with a smaller one and the girls with the poofier one. I think it works better for maintaining a nice balance so they don't get too large.

My babies are beginning to get the "punk rock" hair happening. It is precious. OK, Jody, I have a question for you and I'm a bit afraid of the answer. At a month old-what is the easiest way to sex them(please don't tell me comb development
fl.gif
). Actually, I THINK I have 5 boys and 4 girls. Who cares, I'm keepin' 'em all! How much can these teenie things eat anyway?

Yup, comb development is the easiest way to tell and the boys comb gets red much faster than the girls. Wattles are a good sign too. That's almost 50/50..you did pretty good.
smile.png

38335_023.jpg

38335_030.jpg

Took some pics today of my babies. They are a little over a month old now and think they are large enough to fly out of their big brooder box. It is so cute-they can get ALMOST there, then realize their little bitty wings just aren't quite ready for that.
ETA: Tonight I hear a kind of high pitched screeching/screaming noise coming from the brooder box and flew into the brooder room in a panic. When I opened the box expecting to see mayhem, I realized one of those tiny little month old roosters was trying to crow.
gig.gif
It was so funny-I've never had a rooster crow that early before and it just seemed hilarious for one of those teeny boys to crow.

Last edited:
I had one Pycheon chickie hatch and what a sweetheart! He/she is a keeper!
I have a color question. My chick has black wings. I thought they were a mille fluer color?

Tammie

16448_pycheonchk1day031210.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pics. So cute! The mille fleur coloring does seem to take quite some time to really show itself. By mature feathering you should see the true coloring for them.

hinkjc,

I was wondering if I could get your opinon on some bantams I have. Do you think these might have pyncheon in thier background? I got my start from a lady at a local flea market and she didn't know what they were. I was thinking if they were correct for pyncheon I might try for a new color. At this time they don't breed 100% true. I still hatch some with smooth heads but since I had no idea what they were I didn't try to breed away from it.

401batams1.jpg

401batams2.jpg

Randy, those are really beautiful! I'm not sure if they are crosses with pyncheons or not. I've seen some quite a few different crested cross birds with similar appearance as well. I think a new color variety would be neat though. Please keep us posted if you pursue it. I'd love to see your progress.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom