20866_dscn0474.jpg

Brody's Broodello :

Here are some pics of Porcelains, Lavenders & Partridge

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn0431.jpg

Here is one a about 2 months

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn0312.jpg

Here is the same pullet 2 months later

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn0474.jpg

Thank You Brody, But the 1st pic of your chics left me just as confused as before. Lots of chics some partrdge some porcelian? and none lavender as I know them. I already have pics of 2 month old porcelians. I want to see porcelian chicks (I mean more than 2) less than 1 week old by themselves. Again thank you because this the biggest response I have recieved yet. Did they all come from the same pen?

1.5 months

38168_img_0534.jpg

4 months

38168_img_1150.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Brody!!! I checked it out and I think fattie has a porcelain. Despite the caution of some others and I do know why they are cautioning. The only way to know better would be to have the bird in my hands. My question to you would be as you read that post did you get lost a bit? Some times I wonder if some try to exault themselves above others with terminology or if they trying hard to keep people in the dark. I think they fail to realize or simply take for granted that most people with chickens are not as educated as a few of us. Sometimes I would like to but in and disect for the masses. But, who wants Darth Vader butting in? I wouldn't. Easier to ignore such a person. I will continue to live vicariously thru the posts of others, and take the small crumbs I am given here and there.

Thanks again, Paul

Last edited:
You know I am Silly! My problem Is have no roo to test with. The one I thought was a roo is acting more like a hen now(just one more thing to add to the puzzle..all hens no Roo). I hatched another one yesterday from the same BBS pen (notice splash). After reading your post I do believe some of the people here are a bit closer to their goal (no names), but then again sometimes trial and error pay off. If it crows I want him. Would you trade a hen for a roo and some eggs from the pairing?.

Thanks!! Paul

I am in Alabama the land of the dark empire of the Crimson Tide (hisss booooooo) ( poor Texas longhorns) so where are you located? We redknecks love our chickens! Just being silly my friend. I don't want you to think I am Auburn Alum with a vet degree!! heavens forbid. Auburn is a silly cow college.

Hi Paul,
If you look at the picture of the Porcelain from the other thread, then look at my chick photo, the 3rd from the bottom left, That would be the Porcelain in that photo.Most of the others are Lavs, the one's with the dark brown & white stripes, well you know that is Partridge already.
April

Brody's Broodello :

Hi Paul,
If you look at the picture of the Porcelain from the other thread, then look at my chick photo, the 3rd from the bottom left, That would be the Porcelain in that photo.Most of the others are Lavs, the one's with the dark brown & white stripes, well you know that is Partridge already.
April

Thanks April! The chick you mentioned looks nothing like either of my "porcelains" did when they were that age. all of mine have had strips of one form or the other. Despite what you may have read from the hopefuls, phenotype has not been fully achieved ( the way they should look). In my oppinion (just my own) genotype is even farther out than that, But it appears some are coming to the same conclusions I have. What we want is to be sure that "2 phenotypes" male and female bred together will consistantly produce the same as the parents. Genotype is knowing the things on the inside (Genes)you can't see on the outside that makes up the phenotype. Why people use these terms for the masses is beyond me.

I hope I have helped you as much as you have helped me.

Paul

Just one more thing to confuse you. I have a friend with lavs. The 1 week old chicks look almost like a splash chick of the same age.. no stripes at all.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks April! The chick you mentioned looks nothing like either of my "porcelains" did when they were that age. all of mine have had strips of one form or the other. Despite what you may have read from the hopefuls, phenotype has not been fully achieved ( the way they should look). In my oppinion (just my own) genotype is even farther out than that, But it appears some are coming to the same conclusions I have. What we want is to be sure that "2 phenotypes" male and female bred together will consistantly produce the same as the parents. Genotype is knowing the things on the inside (Genes)you can't see on the outside that makes up the phenotype. Why people use these terms for the masses is beyond me.

I hope I have helped you as much as you have helped me.

Paul

Just one more thing to confuse you. I have a friend with lavs. The 1 week old chicks look almost like a splash chick of the same age.. no stripes at all.

Lavender and blue are not mutually exclusive--a bird can be both, and blue gene seems to prevail in expression, although you will see evidence of both.

As for using the terms for the masses, explain how you can say it in a simpler manner and we will be happy to oblige. Genetics is complicated.

Back
Top Bottom