Welcome to BYC. You have already been given good advice on what to look for and how to go about taking care of your chickens. It is common to lose an older hen now and then, and health problems can start around 2 years old. Reproductive and crop problems are common. Mucus will come out of the beak as the crop empties when any chicken dies, but your hen could have been suffering from a crop problem. Crop problems can be separate, but may be related to other things going on (worms, coccidiosis, or reproductive diseases.) You can get a necropsy performed on any other losses through contacting your state vet or poultry lab (refrigerate the body in a plastic bag,) and many people will do a necropsy themselves by just looking at the organs. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much. I did notice a smell when I picked her up, it wasn’t from her rear end. None of the other chickens aren’t showing any signs not of issues. I’m hoping it was a digestive issue, even though it bothers me to know I could have helped her. I was so worried it was a respiratory infection. I’ve been trying to narrow down what I could have given them that would have led to her getting sour crop. I feel like I let her down in a way.

Back
Top Bottom