Possible Glyphosate poisoning and Milk Thistle treatment? Dose?

BennieAnTheJets

Songster
5 Years
Mar 4, 2016
432
1,023
247
Virginia, USA
Hi y'all,

I did spray round-up for poison ivy - finally could not take it anymore - we were overrun with the ivy and I am very allergic - I try to avoid Monsanto/Bayer products, especially glyphosate but...

Had a hen run around with the dead poison ivy hanging from her beak - shocked to see she would eat that with everything else around in 4 acres - then she disappeared - I always wondered if she died eating the sprayed poison ivy (she may have nested in the woods and not come home and the fox may have gotten her)

today I saw another hen with recently sprayed and wilted poison ivy hanging from her beak (as best as I could tell - they are Guineas and don't let me get that close outside) - now she is sitting on the roosting bar with her feathers fluffed around her neck and moving sluggishly

I was thinking if she is poisoned (I feel so bad if I let her eat that - meant to remove the dead poison ivy but forgot - it was were she used to nest and hangs out) - could I give her some milk thistle to try to help her liver? I have capsules with 1200 mg of organic milk thistle seed and 240 mg of organic milk thistle seed powdered extract, standardized to 80% of silymarin - I could open some capsules and pour over dried meal worms or mix with water and try to get it into her beak - what would you do?

Any help much appreciated!

-Bennie
 

R2elk

*
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
33,792
164,245
1,641
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
Hi y'all,

I did spray round-up for poison ivy - finally could not take it anymore - we were overrun with the ivy and I am very allergic - I try to avoid Monsanto/Bayer products, especially glyphosate but...

Had a hen run around with the dead poison ivy hanging from her beak - shocked to see she would eat that with everything else around in 4 acres - then she disappeared - I always wondered if she died eating the sprayed poison ivy (she may have nested in the woods and not come home and the fox may have gotten her)

today I saw another hen with recently sprayed and wilted poison ivy hanging from her beak (as best as I could tell - they are Guineas and don't let me get that close outside) - now she is sitting on the roosting bar with her feathers fluffed around her neck and moving sluggishly

I was thinking if she is poisoned (I feel so bad if I let her eat that - meant to remove the dead poison ivy but forgot - it was were she used to nest and hangs out) - could I give her some milk thistle to try to help her liver? I have capsules with 1200 mg of organic milk thistle seed and 240 mg of organic milk thistle seed powdered extract, standardized to 80% of silymarin - I could open some capsules and pour over dried meal worms or mix with water and try to get it into her beak - what would you do?

Any help much appreciated!

-Bennie
Sorry about your problems. I have no advice for this. I do not have any poison ivy here so have no idea whether the dried leaves could be toxic. I do have perennial pepper weed in the guinea pen which I have sprayed with glyphosate on numerous occasions. I have not seen the guineas eating any of the sprayed pepper weed but most of the pen is over grown making it easy for the guineas to be doing things without being seen. In my case, none of my guineas have ever shown any signs of being poisoned from using glyphosate in their pen.

Good luck.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom