Possible Mushy Chick Disease and Leg Ingury in Chick?

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
Well I'm having a horrible hatch this time around. My only chick isn't looking so good.

2 of the eggs I incubated needed a lower humidity than the rest because their air cells weren't as developed because they were fresh. I figured I'd find a happy medium and that it'd all work out, but when it came to hatch, those 2 eggs ended up with air cells the size of a 14 day old egg. Well because of other problems, the only chick to hatch came from one of those eggs. It's belly is very soft and since humidity ran high for it, I assume it has mushy chick disease. It hatched sometime last night and it's naval is scabed over nicely. He doesn't smell and I don't think I see any signs of infection. He's just has a really soft belly. Is this Mushy chick disease? I thought there was always an infection? or could one still show up? can a chick survive it? Since he's the only one so far, I will do anything to save him.

Now for his leg injury. He can't walk at all. His legs fly forward so that they are next to his beak and they fly up and down as he screams. If you don't understand what this looks like, I can try to post a picture later. His hocks are red and swollen because of how he's trying to walk, but they aren't ingured. I tryed to stand him up normally, but it didn't work. Any ideas for a brace? I've never seen a leg injury like this. I've delt with spraddle legs, curled toes, and dislocated achilles tendon but this is new to me. I wonder if his leg problems are because of his big mushy body.

Once again, I'll do anything for this little guy. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Like a chick chair? I thought about that. I've made one before for a chick who hatched with only one leg, but how would it help? It would keep him off of his legs for a while but he needs to somehow learn how to walk correctly. I don't think he's ingured, but he sure can't stand up or walk. He tries and tries but his legs just keep flying. It's almost like spraddle leg but instead of his legs going out to the sides, they both fly forward. I'll take a picture, but it will take a while for me to get it uploaded.

Thanks so much for trying to help!
smile.png

Last edited:
Well I'm having a horrible hatch this time around. My only chick isn't looking so good.

2 of the eggs I incubated needed a lower humidity than the rest because their air cells weren't as developed because they were fresh. I figured I'd find a happy medium and that it'd all work out, but when it came to hatch, those 2 eggs ended up with air cells the size of a 14 day old egg. Well because of other problems, the only chick to hatch came from one of those eggs. It's belly is very soft and since humidity ran high for it, I assume it has mushy chick disease. It hatched sometime last night and it's naval is scabed over nicely. He doesn't smell and I don't think I see any signs of infection. He's just has a really soft belly. Is this Mushy chick disease? I thought there was always an infection? or could one still show up? can a chick survive it? Since he's the only one so far, I will do anything to save him.

Now for his leg injury. He can't walk at all. His legs fly forward so that they are next to his beak and they fly up and down as he screams. If you don't understand what this looks like, I can try to post a picture later. His hocks are red and swollen because of how he's trying to walk, but they aren't ingured. I tryed to stand him up normally, but it didn't work. Any ideas for a brace? I've never seen a leg injury like this. I've delt with spraddle legs, curled toes, and dislocated achilles tendon but this is new to me. I wonder if his leg problems are because of his big mushy body.

Once again, I'll do anything for this little guy. Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks!
cochins in one of those contests a few people showed bracing and even one used legos like a car so it was mobile...

CHICKEN ORTHOPEDICS ~

Chick Chair

• CAUTION: A bird in a chair can drown if it drops its head forward into a water dish when going to sleep. See "Prevent Drowning in Water Dish" section.
  • Reposition the chicken slightly every so often to help prevent discomfort, chafing and "bedsores." Check chicken periodically for sores.
  • Used for injured chicks and chickens. Especially helpful during healing time after you put a slipped hock tendon back into place.
  • A variety of designs can be used.
  • Depending on design, chair keeps chick either from bearing much weight with legs and walking, or even being able to touch the ground with its legs or feet.
    • If your chicken is recovering from Slipped Hock Tendon, it is important the legs not reach the ground. The bird needs to hang with them bent and be discouraged from using its legs until the tendon has stretched and adjusted back to the right place and shape.
  • A plastic container or Kleenex box can be used for the base. Cut holes in the sides to allow you to see the legs to check that they haven't gotten caught in "seat" part of chair.
  • "Seat" part of the chair is like a sling or hammock, and should be lined with something soft-ish. Cut out a hole for each leg and a poop hole.
  • You may want to add a flap that fastens across the chick's back to keep it from being able to squirm out of the chair.

Last edited:
cochins in one of those contests a few people showed bracing and even one used legos like a car so it was mobile...
I thought about the little lego car. I may end up having to do that. That would probably help him learn to stand and walk correctly. The only thing is that he wouldn't be able to be in the soft bedding with his siblings (if he has any, there is still hope for 1 other egg) because the wheels wouldn't turn. I think I will have to do that htough. I'll pm her for farther instructions unless someoneelse can think of a more practical brace.

I'm so sorry….and your only one. I had a chick in some bad shape this May, I popped her in a cup (DH's Grandmothers china was the only sort enough to fit and with what I thought was a good shape). Also gave her drops of Infant Vitamins without Iron. She survived and is quite the White Marans specimen. Here she is in the cup, as you can see she was bleeding a bit:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry….and your only one. I had a chick in some bad shape this May, I popped her in a cup (DH's Grandmothers china was the only sort enough to fit and with what I thought was a good shape). Also gave her drops of Infant Vitamins without Iron. She survived and is quite the White Marans specimen. Here she is in the cup, as you can see she was bleeding a bit:
I see, and that would keep his legs underneath of him. It just might work! I'll go find a cup. Thanks!

Ok here are some pictures. I made him the little lego cart and he was walking aorund in it. After a while, I got him to stand with help so I'm hoping he'll be able to walk normally on his own soon. He's not feeling as 'mushy' as he did this morning and I still see no signs of infection. So I say he's on the right track, thanks you guys! He's my first all yellow chick and he's quite a cutie.

Trying to stand.

Sucessfully standing but with support.

Here's him with his legs out in front. They usually stay this way and he was lifting them up and down screaming as he tried to move. (still does, but he's improving)

Back
Top Bottom