Possible scorpion poisoning/paralyzed hens

Vegashens

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2020
Hi we live in Las Vegas and just a few hours ago our beautiful girls started squawking like I’ve never heard. Shortly after they both kind of passed out. Not sure how poisonous they are, but I watched them eat a scorpion or two while cleaning the coupe out. So far we’ve given them some water w vitamins, and about 1/2 mil of Benadryl each. Seems as if they are in and out of consciousness, and spitting up every now and then. I am very worried and just wondering what you guys may recommend. Thanks !!!

How long are their conscious and unconscious spells? Do they try to move around while conscious? If they are, can they move at all? Have they had access to food and water/tried to eat or drink while conscious? Are they pooping? Pics of poop?

Maybe about a minute or so. Currently both hold their heads up. One of them pooped in my lap, was solid and with a white cap. The other has not yet, however seems she has a little more energy. They seem to be breathing, just more like panting through their mouth.

Currently my one hen does not want to even open her mouth let alone hold up her head to take the syringe of water. The other is holding her head up and kind of takes the water. I read something about giving molasses to flush their system. :(

This not looking like a scorpion issue.

Hmm ok. Was just a guess since they both kind of went down at the same time. Any ideas what it might be? They started walking around sort of like they were drunk then like a weird sort of squeaking squawk. Seems as if it’s slowly getting worse. I have them isolated from the others and in a bruder box.

Do they have access to something that might be toxic? It would take on heck of a scorpion tail to take out two hens. I have dealt with similar issues that I attribute consumption of plants or fungi, and possibly insects that feed off milkweed or elderberry. We have also had drunk chickens, but that does not follow pattern you are describing. Better to have those experts sought to help with your problem, but be careful not to do harm by treating for wrong problem or using medications that provide no benefit or a bad for chickens in their own right.

Do they have access to something that might be toxic? It would take on heck of a scorpion tail to take out two hens. I have dealt with similar issues that I attribute consumption of plants or fungi, and possibly insects that feed off milkweed or elderberry. We have also had drunk chickens, but that does not follow pattern you are describing. Better to have those experts sought to help with your problem, but be careful not to do harm by treating for wrong problem or using medications that provide no benefit or a bad for chickens in their own right.

That’s my biggest worry is to mistreat them. One has her head up and still panting the other is just laid out looks to be on her last leg.

While cleaning out the coupe we did find some white fungi/mold under a cabinet we had in there. We cleaned it immediately, but they were kind of roaming around there after picking for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom