Possibly infected prolapsed vent

Savanamarksbary

Chirping
May 28, 2020
I found one of my hens yesterday with a prolapsed vent, I’m not sure how long it’s been like this. She’s 3 years old and I’m not sure if she’s still laying or not, because most of my hens are brown and I can’t tell which hen laid what egg. I found her yesterday afternoon and used prep h and pushed it back in but she just keeps pushing it out. Do I have to rearrange everything after putting it back in? Or does it sort of fix itself? Does it look infected, there’s a crusty yellow patch on the prolapse as well. And at what point is it best to just let her go? She’s healthy otherwise and I hate to cull a healthy bird but I know if it’s necessary it’ll be done.
IMG_8570.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 8
I would not cull her at this point. She should be kept separated in a wire dog crate with food and water to keep her from being pecked. A daily warm soak in a dish pan with Epsom salts, dish soap, Hibiclens, or Betadine in the water would be helpful to promote healing and to keep her clean. Keep the red tissue from drying out, so coat with either honey, vaseline, hydrocortisone cream, or other nontoxic oil or cream. It can sometimes take a few days to a week for the prolapse to stay in. When they strain to lay and egg or poop, it can come back out.

I would not cull her at this point. She should be kept separated in a wire dog crate with food and water to keep her from being pecked. A daily warm soak in a dish pan with Epsom salts, dish soap, Hibiclens, or Betadine in the water would be helpful to promote healing and to keep her clean. Keep the red tissue from drying out, so coat with either honey, vaseline, hydrocortisone cream, or other nontoxic oil or cream. It can sometimes take a few days to a week for the prolapse to stay in. When they strain to lay and egg or poop, it can come back out.
I forgot to add to the post, but it’s also leaking a clear fluid, is that something to be worried about?

Back
Top Bottom