post any and all waterfowl pictures here!!! ponds, pools, aviarys, coops, runs, etc.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultry09, Feb 8, 2012.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York

Thanks I will do that. :) I sure hate to see her with a hurt foot.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I know poor things My goose stepped on an bee last spring and had a swelled foot for close to a week, I soaked it in ES every evening till the swelling went down he was such a baby about it. lol
    Keep us updated on how your goose is doing, also come over to the goose thread and visit, but be sure to bring pics. [​IMG]

3. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York

I found this quite informative! Thank you very much for sharing it. There really are a lot of opinions out there on how to treat this problem. However, I think the less stressful method for a duck or goose is optimal. I will soak her foot tomorrow and treat it. Cheers! :)

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    This is my beautiful girl and her buddie's. (I do not have a mate for her yet)
    [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Did you raise her from a gosling? I have a Toulouse goose i got her when she was 4 months old, barely had any interaction with people so she isn't near as tame as my gander that was hatched here by my Muscovy duck. She is lovely and so are her duck companions.

6. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I got her when she was only a few days old. We spent alot of time with her but the ducks are not as friendly and she has picked up on their behavior. I really wish i could find a gander for her. I think she needs to be around another goose. The ducks, we love them too their antics are hilarious. Each one defonitely has their own personality. Thank you.

7. Miss Lydia

I had the same problem my gander imprinted on his mama Scovy and so he thought he was a duck for 6 yrs. in 2012 we got got our goose Missy and he did not like her at all i had to end up separating his mama from him into another part of the yard with my older ducks so he would begin to hang out with Missy, it still took from Aug. till Breeding season in Jan for him to fall head over heels in love. Now they are inseparable. I hope you can find a gander.

8. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I think I have found one. Yay!!! It will be a challenge getting her away from the ducks. Although she is in a dog crate right now due to her bumble foot. :-( So I guess if I can get upstate soon it may be easier than if I have to wait (weather). It would be ideal to get him while she is in the crate...

9. Miss Lydia

Yay!! that's awesome, is he Toulouse? Once you bring him home put them somewhere with fencing betweem them so they can get use to each other and she begins to realize she is a goose, I had to make a screen out of plastic poultry fence so I could let them sleep together, Sam would scare Missy so bad she'd jump over the top of the stall I was afraid she'd brake her legs. How old is she that may make a difference in how she looks at him too, On the goose thread Summer Chick got a gander for her goose and he had been raised with chickens didn't want to have anything to do with her goose, it's been a few months now and he is finally starting to realize what he is and being breeding season is starting up it's a great time to be getting her a mate.

10. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Songster

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Sophie, Is young yet about 1 1/2 yrs. And yes, it is a Toulouse! I am so excited and happy. The lady said she had looked for a female for him but didn't have any success. She is just happy that he will finally have a mate. I am too. Lol I will take your advise and keep them separate but together for a little while. Oh I can't wait! I want goslings so bad! Lol I just think they are sooo adorable! I told the lady that if they successfully breed and hatch some goslings and she wants one or two to let me know.. She said she wants Sebastipols. They are pretty but I like my Toulouse also.:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: