Post Medication Egg Discard

ptfdf71

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 11, 2007
I am giving my flock Tetracycline for a respiratory infection, after done giving meds, how long do I have to discard the eggs before they are safe to eat again?

Thanks,

Adam

Here's a dumb question........why discard the eggs after administering (correction from "egg's" to say "meds")? I've always heard to do this, but never why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.......dumb question #2........would that be a bad thing? I mean, would the meds administered to the chicken make me grow a 2nd head or anything? I know, I know, ridiculous, but I gotta ask! LOL

Well, some people are allergic to sulfa containing drugs so that can potentially kill them... and some have accidentally shown that meds cause birth defects in eggs they try to hatch... and it's not good to medicate yourself if you don't have to. Other than that you can eat the eggs, and most likely it won't do much due to the very low dose you'd get from a few eggs.

To many meds in your system is what causes super bugs. It is like takeing a drug when you are not sick.
JUST PLAIN NOT GOOD FOR YOU!
he.gif

Last edited:
Well, I certainly understand the un-necessary self-medicating. I wasn't sure about the 'veterinary drugs' affect on humans, is all.

Thanks for the info!!

I think that Ivomec EPRINEX has no milk or meat withdrawal time, so egg withdrawal would be the same, but Ivomex INVERMECTIN would have at least a two week withdrawal. Remember that most of these meds are not made for chickens anyway, so all these are basically educated guesses.
One reason I have to not give my layers any antibiotics with withdrawal times is one of my egg customers. She has a heart condition that makes it critical she not have any residues from any medications. Before she started buying my eggs, she needed to know if the feed I gave them had any antibiotics in it. That is one reason I must be careful not to medicate my birds. If I had to do it for some reason, I'd have to withhold that girls' eggs from that customer for a long period of time to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom