Post PICS of your GLORIOUS ROOSTERS here!!! All breeds welcome!

Wow, so many gorgeous, handsome Roo's!!!
Aren't they just amazing? And such personality!

OK, I am going to share mine, I have 3, and I never thought I would have 3, but you all know about chicken math!

Rocky Roo is my 1st Roo, a Bar Rock loaded with personality and quick to kick a** if he think a butt needs kicking. He is unpredictable, stunning, loud, vocal, a talented airborne Ninja-kicker, a twinkle-toed dancing spur clicker, generous treat giver to his hens, and I just love him.

My 2nd and 3rd Roo's are Ameraucanas. I saw this handsome red rooster running around in an overcrowded pen. I went to get 5 egg laying hens. I got 5 hens and 1 roo. He was so red in the sunshine, he stood up proudly and held his wings out in the sun, resembling an airplane, and crowed a very deep crow. I immediately named him Red Baron The Baritone, or just Baron for short.

I had only planned on getting 5, so I did not come with more transport crates. There were still 6 more Ameraucanas there and it nagged at me, with the overcrowded conditions. I went back and got the remaining chickens. 1 was a very young roo, and he was also red but with black and dark feathering on his chest. He was running around very afraid, being pecked by other types of chickens when I arrived, so I got him and held him a bit before putting him in his transport crate. That sweetie just snuggled up to me, and he is still a cuddly lovebug to this day. I called him "Baby Roo" and I still call him that, or "Babe" for short, and he does the sweetest little high pitch crow you ever heard. Every time he hears my voice he clucks to me, too. I can hold him on my lap, or just hug him in my arms and he snuggles right in, clucking, a real sweetie pie.

Thanks for letting me share!

Rocky Roo
20151202_102029_resized.jpg

Red Baron The Baritone
20180108_184929.jpg

Baby Roo or Babe
20180108_155809.jpg

I have an all rooster flock as well as a separate rooster with 5 hens.
Hugo is the white one and Horace is the other they are best friends. They are about 2 weeks apart in age. I got Hugo and Horace in July 2017. Hugo was 6 weeks old and Horace was 4 weeks.
IMG_20171211_074109993_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171211_074000877.jpg

IMG_20171204_162955807_HDR.jpg
next is Gumbo I got him back in July also at 2 weeks old.

IMG_20171230_164056578.jpg

Charlie

IMG_20171211_074040857_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171204_163000914.jpg
Sampson
IMG_20171204_163057470_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171025_101034470.jpg
kopus is the alpha male that has all the hens . They are all free range but they stay in their separate groups.
IMG_20170819_101739488_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171205_160914075_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171024_171829097.jpg
sampson, Charlie, Gumbo are the same age they were 2 weeks old when I adopted them. Kopus just decided to live with me. He belonged to the neighbors but they didn't care for him. He came over one day and has never left.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_164033580.jpg
    IMG_20171230_164033580.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 5
Wow, an all Rooster flock!!! I am impressed, and they are all so very handsome. :)

So let me ask you, do they get along, or do they occasionally spar with each other, or have there been times where you needed to separate them (fighting bad)?

Are they always free ranging or do they have a predator proof pen where they're housed together, and if so, do they get along in the pen?

Were they raised together from a young age or did you introduce any after they were grown?

I am hoping to let my 3 roosters and 11 hens all hang out together in the Spring, planning to introduce them when I am out there gardening, digging up bugs for them to distract, in a free range scenario, at first, then hopefully be able to see them get along when they get ready to roost for the night, into 1 large new coop.

So right now they're in 2 groups/2 coops...1 Roo and his 2 girls, and the other 2 Roo's and they're girls, for the winter. Before we got foul weather I did have them in a different area with adjoining pens so they could gradually get to know each other. I opened the pens to each other in Nov. but they sort of stayed in their own pens, avoiding each other. Now both groups are separate til Spring, but they do crow to each other.

I've heard various feedback from people, pro and con, and realize it'll ultimately depend on my Roo's with their unique personalities. The coop I'm hoping to let them all share is unoccupied at the moment, so it would be new to all. Just want to get your thoughts on combining the group, various ages. I'm also thinking of adding a Sebastopol Goose to the mix...yeah, I have been bitten by the "Poultry Bug" but I love it. :) OK, sorry for being long winded, and thanks for sharing your beautiful Roo photos!

Skillet: Black Copper Marans Cockerel
20170927_174525.jpg

Dinky: White Bantam Cochin Cockerel
20170801_150055.jpg

Caesar: Lavender Orpington rooster
1498332978936.jpg

Spartacus: White Silkie Rooster
20170703_163703.jpg

Piper(thought he was a pullet): Gray Silkie Cockerel
20170727_155718.jpg

No Name: Frizzle Columbian Bantam Cochin
20171018_172248.jpg

Sammy: Exchequer Serama Cockerel
2018-01-07_14.11.23.jpg

Spencer II: Exchequer Serama Cockerel
2018-01-07_14.14.24.jpg

Wow, an all Rooster flock!!! I am impressed, and they are all so very handsome. :)

So let me ask you, do they get along, or do they occasionally spar with each other, or have there been times where you needed to separate them (fighting bad)?

Are they always free ranging or do they have a predator proof pen where they're housed together, and if so, do they get along in the pen?

Were they raised together from a young age or did you introduce any after they were grown?

I am hoping to let my 3 roosters and 11 hens all hang out together in the Spring, planning to introduce them when I am out there gardening, digging up bugs for them to distract, in a free range scenario, at first, then hopefully be able to see them get along when they get ready to roost for the night, into 1 large new coop.

So right now they're in 2 groups/2 coops...1 Roo and his 2 girls, and the other 2 Roo's and they're girls, for the winter. Before we got foul weather I did have them in a different area with adjoining pens so they could gradually get to know each other. I opened the pens to each other in Nov. but they sort of stayed in their own pens, avoiding each other. Now both groups are separate til Spring, but they do crow to each other.

I've heard various feedback from people, pro and con, and realize it'll ultimately depend on my Roo's with their unique personalities. The coop I'm hoping to let them all share is unoccupied at the moment, so it would be new to all. Just want to get your thoughts on combining the group, various ages. I'm also thinking of adding a Sebastopol Goose to the mix...yeah, I have been bitten by the "Poultry Bug" but I love it. :) OK, sorry for being long winded, and thanks for sharing your beautiful Roo photos!

Thank you! And to answer you questions yes they do get along. They have their moments where they chase each other or peck but it's all very low key and nothing serious. I find it to be normal boy behavior. They have never fought bad to where blood was drawn but they have chased each other or pulled out a few feathers. Those incidents seemed to have been due to jealousy. They all like to have my attention or have first dibs on the treats or food for the day.if I get one or show attention then the rest of them come wanting attention as well. They have been with each other since they hatched. They are different ages but they were introduced to each other very early. I came across them on Craiglist. A lady was wanting rid of them and I just felt the need to adopt them and give them a home. They have a coop they go to bed in and they have an order of who goes in first and there's no issues. They do not like to be kept up in a pen so they are free range. They have range to the field behind my home as well as the 3 barns back there. They come when I call their names and they come home if there is signs of danger such as a hawk or stray dog in the field. I know my choice to free range them is risky but they are happier that way. I check on them several times a day and make sure everyone is okay. I have always had the fear that is I did put them in an enclosed something would find it's way inside and they would have no way to escape. With them being free range they have places to hide or split up. The other flock I have is the orange rooster I showed and 4 hens. The 5th hen hatched out one chick Christmas day so she is currently in the "maternity ward" until she gets ready to go back to her flock. I have had her outside when the weather is okay and the other chickens have seen her and begun to get used to her again. I do not know if they forgot her considering she was on her nest for 21 days. You are right about it depending on the roosters personalities. The all roo flock and the other flock cannot get along at all and cannot ever be house together. Obviously it is a war over the hens but my head have chosen their mate so I do not try and make them chose otherwise. If your flocks don't get along you could always just separate them and from my experience they will stay out of each other's way like mine do. Occasionally my hens will get into fights when one has been away from the flock for some time and I guess it's all about establishing everyone's place within the group.

Back
Top Bottom