post thoughts about sillkies

I don't know if they get along with any breeds that aren't docile, they might get pecked. You can get them from a breeder, depending on where you live. It's worth researching breeders in your area. Their eggs are light brown and smallish, since all silkies are bantams. The eggs are not laied every day. They're cute and great companions and show birds, though.

I've been looking into getting silkies and will hopefully have some soon. The breeder I buy from has a friend who sells them, so I already know where to get them. However, I need birds that will be able to pay for themselves one way or another. Thankfully silkies are crazy broody, so I know I'll be letting them raise chicks and ducklings, but I'd also like to raise them as well and sell their own chicks. Since silkies come in so many colors, I'd like to know the way colors are passed with them. Can a hen have any color baby so long as it's in her or the roosters genealogy? Or is the chick usually the color of the mother and father? Or, even better, does the gender of the chick effect which parents they inherit color from? Also, what colors are more popular? And is their a general preference between bearded and nonbearded?

Sorry for so many questions at once.

I don't know much about breeding them. Sorry! I think bearded are generally preferred? I am not totally sure. I don't breed mine, since only hens are allowed where I live.

Silkies can set well, but if you don't clip feathers so they can see, they can't raise chicks very effectively. Momma got to be able to see babies!

Would that be a DQ for a show? My silkies can't see very well and they are continually bumping into stuff. I have been thinking about doing that but I raise my chickens for showing...

My Silkies act like they can't see. They sometimes run as fast as possible, straight for the wall.
hit.gif
I have been thinking about clipping their feathers but since I keep them to show, I think that might be a DQ.

Back
Top Bottom