post your chicken coop pictures here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlover237, Nov 10, 2011.

1. autismmomkim

autismmomkim Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Louisiana USA
    Our chicken and duck coop. We still ain't quit done yet.

2. autismmomkim

Jun 26, 2014
    Louisiana USA
    [​IMG]
    Our coop we still ain't quit done yet!! It did withstand an owl! The day after we put our babies out in it we found a dead owl that broke it's neck when he crashed into it.

3. [​IMG]

4. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 29, 2012
    So. Calif.
    I hate to see any wildlife dead but that had to be one stoooopid owl - I thought they had expert vision to see the tiniest things - how did he miss seeing something that BIG! LOL

Also if you've been reading this thread we want to know why you're using flimsy poultry wire against predators that probably lurk in that wooded area in the photo. Raccoons, weasels, coyotes, foxes, dogs, bobcats, etc can easily push on poultry wire which is not interlinked and easily comes apart from itself when pushed on. Also you'll need to bury 1/2 inch hardwire into the ground and around the pen to deter digging night critters if you want to protect your babies from wildlife you never knew you had until you got poultry.

Smiles - we just want to help. BTW nice coop framework.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  5. gretabee

gretabee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2014
    Colorado
    We are putting the finishing touches on our coop. The majority of the materials (90% of the wood) was found for free on Craigslist. We used old fence pickets for the siding. I haven't decided if I want to paint, but for now I am liking the 'rustic' look. [​IMG] We bought our house a year ago, which came with an existing dog run/kennel that we converted for the chickens (because our dog is far too spoiled to use it [​IMG]) The previous owners had also built a rabbit hutch, which is where we got the panels to make the top/cover of the chicken run. DH created the coop design by himself. It took about a month's worth of days off to build. Any materials we had to buy new we found as cheap as possible. A few people have commented about how "fancy" the floor is -- it was the cheapest stick-on tile we could find at Lowe's. The whole floor cost a total of $6. We used vinyl panels for the roofing, and the window is a 12x12 shed window. There is one 12x12 vent on the door, and another larger vent on the back wall of the coop (not pictured).

We have currently have five chicks (almost 3 weeks old) who will hopefully move to the coop in the next few weeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside, complete with mirror and farm artwork [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With leftover wood, DH also created a "chicken cabana" for dust bathing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I love it and that cabana....WOW! [​IMG]

7. autismmomkim

Jun 26, 2014
    Louisiana USA
    That's j
    ust a thin line of woods in between our yard an the neighbors. Hey it held up against the owl he hit the wire and all it did was dint it in. He has spent a good $1000 on that thing so far and he haven't had any critters get in. They been in there for over two months now.

8. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    I know, I know. Wood is so expensive. And I don't have anybody to do it for me. Except to pay them. And I do. I thought I had Ft Knox and still had a mink get in so I kept going on predator proofing. [​IMG]

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Quote: Yes, but remember....that was just an owl flying in. Did you know that raccoons and foxes can tear up chicken wire like it was butter? It's true. You might want to re-think the wire you're presently using...jmho

10. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Well i'll show you a outside formation.

[​IMG]
    The roost are to keep them having fun!
    [​IMG]
    I put waters by the feeders just in case somebody gets TOO much food in their crill.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by