post your chicken coop pictures here!

Hey guys. I'm just starting out with chickens and this is the start of my coop. Any ideas/suggestions? I know I Need some more nesting boxes and plan to build them onto the side of the coop. any ideas would be appercated.

Really nice start there
thumbsup.gif
Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
and the thread. I'm sure if you read and look at pictures, a wealth of ideas will come to mind
frow.gif

You hate oppossoms? But they are not rodents they are Marsupials....they have their babies in pouches!!! Like wallabies and kangaroos! Everyone loves Marsupials!

LOL - Who cares even if they're classified in the Elephant family - they're still nasty no matter what animal family they belong to!

Bruce,
Yes, they are too steep. I pretty much knew that. And, too narrow. Tomorrow, I get out there, and start working on the next phase of the project. I designed inside storage, that will double as steps, kind of like a staircase, for each side, and lots of perching/roosting sticks attached. Those will not be an overnight incarnation, so, I'll use some more appropriate scrap, to build some more graduated step ramps, to get them by, until the new setup is ready.
Also, below one of the nesting boxes, will be a grow out pen, enclosed in and of itself. That way, the new chicks, coming this week, will grow up, in the company of, but sequestered from, our current flock. I've been told that can make for easier acclimation, once they have grown to proper size.

Oh, and that's 8'x12' floor space. The nesting boxes are 2'x12' each. The whole coop, is 12'x12'+x10'H. For our flock, it's huge. But, we just got 13 more adults, today, and have two, 4 week old pullets, in a grow out pen, and 30 more chicks, coming Monday or Tuesday.
Honestly, I knew nothing about coop design, or construction. My buddy, Travis, is a cabinetmaker/carpenter, and came over one day with an idea, that looked good on paper, so we went with it. It's kind of a learning process, for both of us at this point. He knows construction, and I needed a coop. It worked pretty well, but we are learning as we go, and working out the bugs.

New chicks or old hens - for safety do quarantine for 30 days minimum from the main flock coop. I had a breeder who shipped 2 juveniles to me with feather lice and worms. I'm glad I used the quarantine method or I might've exposed my existing flock to the newbies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom