post your chicken coop pictures here!

The girls new coop/run
1f60a.png
1f413.png

looks pretty nice, but you'll want to put those 2x4's flat side up to make it easier on their feet, especially in the winter. they can have their feet flat and fluff their feathers up around them to keep their feet warm.

It would probably be a pain to change the 2x4s now. If I had to fix that I would get some 1x4 pine and just tack it on top of those 2x4s.

Just an idea.

Willy,
You mentioned getting RIR's. Make sure that's what you actually get, 'specially if you order them from someone like Southern States. I ordered 6 RIR pullets & a RIR rooster from the S/S here; what I got, I just found out on here, is 7 Red Sex-links. Great layers, probably better than RIR's, but not what I ordered.

We're rebuilding. Up off the ground this time. 1/2" hardware cloth all around and roof on top. I'm laying it outside on the ground and inside too and concrete pavers on top of that. Oh and raccoon proof latches. I hope it's enough. Fort Coop. Lol

You would be the best judge on trapping or finding another way of getting rid of it. But I have heard that if you get rid of one there will just be another one to take it's place. I figure the best way to keep them safe is to lock them up. Buy stock in hardware cloth.
Hey! Fellow MDer here...Frederick Co.
Just something for you to chew on, considering you're rebuilding: My run is based around chain link; old 12'x6' kennel panels, actually. Because my ground is sloped, one end was a couple feet off the ground, so I supported it with cinder blocks and added 1"x2" welded wire to the bottom, then installed an apron of 1"x2" wire held down with some extra wood fence posts. Topped it all off with 2"x4" wire across the top so critters can't come in from the nearby trees, then a big tarp extending 1/2 way down the sides on top of the wire, for shade & protection from rain & snow.

Back
Top Bottom