Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never buying eggs again! Our first chicken started laying today! They're 20 weeks old today...Is it common for them to lay more than one at a time?!

Yep fresh eggs beat the store any day.Yes you will see multi eggs sometimes, new layers will do this. No egg one day 2 the next, sometimes it's a double yolk er. I even had an egg within another outer shell. I just chased 6 birds back to the coop. One of my Orps never mastered how to fly and hits the coop door often and if it's not latched they go on a walk. Not good, we have way to many things out here that want a chicken dinner. They are laid back so 3 I just walked back to the coop and they get in 3 I used a big fishing net.

We've been letting our chickens free range because we don't have many predators, but now they haven't even taken a second glance at the nest boxes. Big Mama laid her eggs in the flower garden in the yard. :/ I'd prefer not to go on an easter egg hunt every morning. Is there a way to train them to lay in their boxes?

We've been letting our chickens free range because we don't have many predators, but now they haven't even taken a second glance at the nest boxes. Big Mama laid her eggs in the flower garden in the yard. :/ I'd prefer not to go on an easter egg hunt every morning. Is there a way to train them to lay in their boxes?

Try putting golf balls in the nest boxes, worked for mine.

X2!! That's what I did and it worked like a charm! Whoever came up with that idea is a genius! Golf balls get my vote!

X2!! That's what I did and it worked like a charm! Whoever came up with that idea is a genius! Golf balls get my vote!

Try putting golf balls in the nest boxes, worked for mine.
Thanks! I'll give it a try! fingers crossed!

I already posted my first exciting quail egg..well today I went out there and look! I guess all the girls are laying now. Check out the size and color differences..

Yay our first egg! But we aren't sure who laid it and no one is sitting on it. How will I know who's it is and is it okay that she hasn't laid on it? We do want some hatchlings... What should I do?

The only way to know who is laying what egg is to keep an eye out and catch her in the act. If you don't have too many chickens you will get to know what the typical size, color and shape of each girls' eggs are. They don't sit on their eggs unless they've gone broody.

This is our first egg layed (Aug. 17) by one of our Barred Rock Hens. She was exactly 20 weeks old! They started out tiny but are of great size now. The number of eggs slowly increased and now we are averaging 8-10 eggs a day from 12 possible layers. They mostly took to the nesting boxes right away with no problems (except they all wanted to share the one box!). I LOVE hearing the EGG song, it just makes me smile. Now, I am excited to see who will start laying from our mixed younger flock. It's looking like red star might be next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom