Post your ''Other'' Uses for feed bags

Pics

I love these!! Bootsie! They would keep you dry when you bathed a dog too!!
smile.png

I'm so jealous! The feed bags I can get around here are boring and ugly! I'm going to have to drive to a different town to get a different brand of feed so I can have prettier bags to sew with. I'd love to get some of the paper bags to use in my garden, but nothing seems to come in those around here.

Agh, I just found this thread and I LOVE all the bag examples :). I've been making tote bags for anyone and everyone and I love them. Recently I got a serger and decided to try a few super fast and easy grocery bags. They're unlined so they're done in a jiff. The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do for the bottoms to keep them from sagging. Everywhere online said cardboard, but the whole point of having a bag that's easy to clean for groceries is not to deal with something that can hold on to germs and get soggy. So duh, finally I realized I could use a few scraps from the bag to enclose a piece of cardboard and wha-la, support and easy to clean. I use one feed bag per bag, the dog food bags I have to clean out with a clorox wipe before using to get rid of the grease.

My very first bag, 6 years later it's still in use, but it has been retired to a crochet project bag for light duty
tongue.png

I love the design on this sunflower bag, it was perfect for my mom.

I made quite a few bags and zipped coin pouches for coworkers.

For a friend with breast cancer, I used the special pink released bags and some pink ribbon fabric lining.

This is our library book bag, a little wider than most of my bags, it has no problem hauling books :)!

My son wanted a backpack so I found a perfect pattern online and used every possible piece of a rabbit food bag to make it.

All of the teachers and daycare providers we've had have been given a bag, I figure with the stuff they tote around a sturdy bag would help.

I also know teachers love pockets, so I try to put one in every teacher bag.

I finally made myself a new bag :), not sure why I made the straps so long on this bag ...

I went for a zipped pocket for me, it was pretty easy to add.

My first attempt at quick and easy grocery bags with a serger, I LOVE them.

I matched the dimensions to a Krogers reusable bag, it worked out perfectly to use up all the feed bag in one go.

My second try, I did not measure twice cut once on that Layer bag, it's an inch too short and drives me nuts.

But I figured out the bottoms! Now it can hold a ton of cans and not sag!

The bottom inserts, they're also serged so after cutting it took all of 2 min to enclose them. I love anything fast
ya.gif

OK, sorry for all the pictures, but I'm just a bag fan. I would love to try some messenger bags, but I'm not sure I could make them look good enough. I've got a ton of bags piled up (literally, like 50+ bags) so I have plenty to practice with!

Agh, I just found this thread and I LOVE all the bag examples :). I've been making tote bags for anyone and everyone and I love them. Recently I got a serger and decided to try a few super fast and easy grocery bags. They're unlined so they're done in a jiff. The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do for the bottoms to keep them from sagging. Everywhere online said cardboard, but the whole point of having a bag that's easy to clean for groceries is not to deal with something that can hold on to germs and get soggy. So duh, finally I realized I could use a few scraps from the bag to enclose a piece of cardboard and wha-la, support and easy to clean. I use one feed bag per bag, the dog food bags I have to clean out with a clorox wipe before using to get rid of the grease.

My very first bag, 6 years later it's still in use, but it has been retired to a crochet project bag for light duty
tongue.png

I love the design on this sunflower bag, it was perfect for my mom.

I made quite a few bags and zipped coin pouches for coworkers.

For a friend with breast cancer, I used the special pink released bags and some pink ribbon fabric lining.

This is our library book bag, a little wider than most of my bags, it has no problem hauling books :)!

My son wanted a backpack so I found a perfect pattern online and used every possible piece of a rabbit food bag to make it.

All of the teachers and daycare providers we've had have been given a bag, I figure with the stuff they tote around a sturdy bag would help.

I also know teachers love pockets, so I try to put one in every teacher bag.

I finally made myself a new bag :), not sure why I made the straps so long on this bag ...

I went for a zipped pocket for me, it was pretty easy to add.

My first attempt at quick and easy grocery bags with a serger, I LOVE them.

I matched the dimensions to a Krogers reusable bag, it worked out perfectly to use up all the feed bag in one go.

My second try, I did not measure twice cut once on that Layer bag, it's an inch too short and drives me nuts.

But I figured out the bottoms! Now it can hold a ton of cans and not sag!

The bottom inserts, they're also serged so after cutting it took all of 2 min to enclose them. I love anything fast
ya.gif

OK, sorry for all the pictures, but I'm just a bag fan. I would love to try some messenger bags, but I'm not sure I could make them look good enough. I've got a ton of bags piled up (literally, like 50+ bags) so I have plenty to practice with!

Wow! Those are awesome!

Hi! These are great ideas. Wish I was more crafty. :/ I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use plastic feed bags for weed barrier around my fruit trees? My husband is worried that water might not be able to get to the trees or mold or something would grow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Some day, I will get around to actually using a sewing machine to re-purpose some of my feed bags. But, for now, I'm using them to help me with my landscaping project. I'm clearing some land, and building a stone wall with all of the massive rocks left behind. I have to dig a lot of rocks out of the ground to prepare the area to become an eventual lawn and orchard. My wheelbarrow has a plastic trough. The first time I tried to drag a big rock into it, the bed of the barrow got scratched. So I grabbed a feed bag, slid it under the rock, tipped the barrow up onto it's nose, and used the bag to drag the rock into the barrow as far as I could. Then, I held the bag with one hand, used my foot against the axle for a fulcrum point, and used the other hand to tip the wheel barrow with rock into an upright position. One rock at a time, my stone wall is taking shape, and the ground is getting cleared. Thank you Dumour!!!

Back
Top Bottom