postal workers I need advice about dealing with mine

That sounds ridiculous!! Unless you were leaving weeks of mail in your box there was no reason for her to think you were not living there. The things you mention may have caused her to wonder, but as long as you were picking up your mail, it shouldn't have mattered, especially since you left her the note!! Wow! Keep us posted. I do think the PO should be responsible for any late fees and straightening things out with your creditors as some will raise your interest rates drastically for one late payment.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I do agree with speaking to the postmaster as a first step as others have suggested, but I entirely agree with the above. There are MANY people who rarely if ever see their mail carrier; there are many houses that look neglected, yet have people legitimately living there. About the only legitimate reason I know of for not delivering mail is if you have a dog or other animal who prevents their access to the mail box, and even then they are supposed to leave you a warning letter to contain the dog away from the mail box.

It boggles the mind that you left her a note in our mailbox, telling her to deliver your mail, and she replied that you do not live there.
idunno.gif
barnie.gif
roll.png
Who does she think wrote the note?

Same exact thing happened to my DH while we were dating. It happened 15 years ago and he is still mad. He was picking up his mail every day, and one day it just stopped. He asked the carrier about it and the carrier said that he had not picked up his mail for months. Dh said you must have me confused with someone else. Carrier called him a liar. The mail boxes were in a row with about 20 boxes. DH made an appointment with the postmaster and took mail from around the last day he recieved it. The postmasters response to DH was that he would start his mail back but that he believed his carrier and would stand behind the carrier regardless the proof that DH had. My DH felt that was an attack on his character calling him a liar and then when shown proof they still backed the person making the mistake. DH HATES USPS!

Wow. Even after showing proof that he'd been picking up his mail the whole time the PM still took the carrier's word that he hadn't been? That doesn't make any sense at all. Word against word is one thing, but proof is a different kettle of fish.

We've got the exact opposite problem here. We get mail for the lady who used to live here... some six years ago... and her son who never lived here... and a couple others we've never heard of... years of putting return to sender/not at this address and they still keep on. I was told that the person had to put in the form to divert their mail, that if I even thought about it I'd be in trouble... so y'alls stuff is just weird. Letting a carrier have the power to deny you your mail, without your permission and without the sender's permission... seems like something's very off about that.

Thats exactly right, even with proof, the postmaster backed the carrier. What can you do though, get mail somewhere else? Made absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
I think that is when you need to elevate the complaint to a higher level. I can see not taking sides until an investigation is completed, but my goodness, taking sides agaist all evidence? Who investigatges mail theft? FBI? I do know it is a federal crime. Maybe start there and let the heads roll. It does not sound like intentional theft, but perhaps it will make them sit up and think.

Yeah, if the carrier is willing to do this to one person, falsely, then how many other people haven't gotten their mail, or may not in the future if this person isn't corrected? A simple "Don't hold people's mail unless they ask you to" would suffice.

Edit... quick check... USPS.com has Customer Service Info...

SERVICES (Delivery Services, Change of Address, Redelivery, Hold Mail, etc.)

o Call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777)
o Customer Service representatives are available as follows:

§ Monday thru Friday: 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM Eastern Standard Time

§ Saturday: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

§ Sundays and Holidays: Closed [Click here for Postal Holidays]

Email Us

For less urgent communication, you can email the Postal Service™ as follows:

· Go to www.usps.com and click on “Customer Service” at the bottom of the page

· Click on “Email Us”

· Type in the required information

· Click on “Submit.”

You should receive a response within three (3) business days.

Write Us

Customers may write the Postal Service to express a concern and to request assistance. In order to receive a timely response, it is recommended that correspondence be mailed to the Office of the Consumer Advocate at the following address:

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE

OFFICE OF THE CONSUMER ADVOCATE

475 L’ENFANT PLAZA SW RM 10433

WASHINGTON DC 20260-2200

Seems like calling would be your best bet, it does specifically mention "Hold Mail" and will get an immediate response. Email is three days. Figure mail will be at least that plus shipping there and back. Think I'd be calling in, clearly there are enough bugs in the system that they need all these contact options...

Last edited:
The carrier is supposed to deliver to a legal address until such time as they receive written notification otherwise. As long as your mailbox is there, they are required to leave mail, even if it is piling up. Either your carrier does not know this regulation or she is making her own rules. Talk to the postmaster!!

No, this is not true. A city carrier only has to deliver mail 30 days if it is not being picked up (and if it is suspected you aren't living there anymore, then it is 10 days). Of course I don't know what the rules are for rural route carriers.
Quote:

Last edited:
The same thing happened to a friend of mine (on a rural route) - talk to the Postmaster and they should be able to resolve it quickly! Sometimes it is just a computer glitch- that is what happened with my friend!

Back
Top Bottom