poultry medicine cabinet

oh dear that list is long and it's mixed with my pet first aid box....

-triple antibiotic with pain killer
-bandages
-bandaids
-vet tape (the stuff without glue but sticks to itself)
-iodine
-syptic powder (can use flour or sugar in an emergency)
-I use DE but if you don't you should have wormer (fenazole (sp?) is one of the better ones.
-electrolytes for birds (as opposed to gatorade and others that have too much sugar)
-fingernail clippers
-sharp small scissors
-large scissors
-tweezers
-locking tweezers (like a cross between plyers and scissors that lock shut)
-aspirin
-alcohol
-tea tree oil
-peroxide
-cotton balls, and the flat round ones
-q-tips
-vasoline
-terramycin oitment (antibiotic cream for the eyes)
-apple cider vinegar
-vicks vaporub (or generic version)
-bottled water (in case I need to grab the kit and go out in the yard)
-Phone numbers to all the "good" vets along with the names of ones with a bad rep (no matter the emergency I have one vet I won't let touch ANY of my animals!)
-I should add phone numbers of other chicken keepers to help me if in need

-Other thinks I SHOULD have-- antibiotics, penG, and other harder to find items that I can only get online. This also reminds me I need to go check expiration dates and replace what needs replacing!

It's all in a rubbermaid type clear box with lid and clearly marked----ready to grab and go if need be.
I also have a traveling dog-aid kit I keep in my car---right next to the human one.

Well....that's what I can think of off hand....looking foward to seeing what others keep.
Sandra
edited to add a few things!

Last edited:
VetRx is something else I like to keep on hand.
Also-
- A rabbit cage, dog kennel, or anything like it equipped with a waterer, feeder, bedding and a light in case of a "chicken emergency" that requires you to remove someone from the rest of the flock.
- Popcicle sticks to make a splint.
- Rooster Booster or some other "anti picking" ointment.

Quote:
Excellent for easing human migraines too...
tongue.png

City Chick-

If you get a chicken with a cold or congestions, you put a little vicks vapor rub (vet rx, or no-name brand) in their wing pits and near their nostrils. When they sleep, they tuck their heads under their wing and get a nice "treatment".

Sandra

What a great list! I just happend to be putting together a kit myself. I unfortunately was caught in a hen house emergency without one. Had to scrap at the last minute for whatever was around at hand. I wont be in that situation again!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom