3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, All.

We have quite the creeping charlie (I think it's Glechoma hederacea) infestation of our lawn. We'd like to address it, but our ducks also forage there. Does anyone have any success with killing this invasive plant with a poultry-friendly treatment?

Thanks in advance.

Do your ducks ever eat it? As far as I always knew, it's edible. So I did look that up. If you want to rid yourself of it and your ducks are actively foraging, the safest way would be to pull it up. Chemicals would kill it I'm sure, but that is not practical with foraging animals. http://www.ediblewildfood.com/creeping-charlie.aspx
Yep. That's our predicament. Way too much to pull up, and we don't want to use chemicals. :-(

Yep. That's our predicament. Way too much to pull up, and we don't want to use chemicals. :-(

I have quite a bit of it myself. It's slowing creeping along:p
It's in my lawn, I just mow it - looks green in the summer - LOL I don't free range, but try very hard to not use any chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

I do have success using a mixture of dish soap, salt and vinegar to kill grass coming up in my driveway - but that mixture probably wouldn't be that great for chickens or ducks either.

I have quite a bit of it myself. It's slowing creeping along:p
It's in my lawn, I just mow it - looks green in the summer - LOL I don't free range, but try very hard to not use any chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

I do have success using a mixture of dish soap, salt and vinegar to kill grass coming up in my driveway - but that mixture probably wouldn't be that great for chickens or ducks either.
Once it starts, it will take over everything! lol. We'd love to clear it from the back lawn, but I don't know any solution that isn't pretty toxic.

The only thing I know that might get rid of it naturally would be a flock of chickens:D They can tear up quite a bit of ground in short order. hmmm....a good argument for a handful of hens.

Creeping charlie is an invasive, for sure. It is all over my lawn, and creeps into the garden. While I hate the invasive nature of the plant, I have learned to appreciate the good aspects of the plant:

It smells good. Kind of a pungent minty aroma. Some might find it too strong, but I like it's smell, especially after it's been mowed. Ever seen insect damage to CC??? Neither have I. Therefore, I believe it is a beneficial aromatic to include in the DL in coop and run, and even in nest boxes.

It makes a good scrub brush. When I clean the waterers, I add a drop or two of liquid soap, grab a fist full of CC and use it to scrub my waterers. Totally biodegradable scrubbies always at my disposal.

The birds eat it... sometimes. I wonder if it has some antihelminthic properties. On occasion, I see the birds munching it down, other times, they leave it in favor of grass and clover.

It makes a nice ground cover to add diversity to a lawn. Want a lawn that is ALL grass? It makes poor fodder for the chickens. A lawn that is all grass is also more prone to Japanese beetle attack. I've never been overly concerned about what grows in my lawn, though I do dig out thistle and burdock. Dandelion, CC, plantain, thyme, white and red clover help make my lawn green! They provide varied forage for the flock, are not as prone to browning during drought, the biodiversity makes my lawn less prone to insect or disease attack. Plantain is used for a healing salve, and I recently discovered white yarrow growing in my lawn... yet an other healing herb.

I strongly suggest that chemical herbicides be avoided.

Creeping charlie is an invasive, for sure. It is all over my lawn, and creeps into the garden. While I hate the invasive nature of the plant, I have learned to appreciate the good aspects of the plant:

It smells good. Kind of a pungent minty aroma. Some might find it too strong, but I like it's smell, especially after it's been mowed. Ever seen insect damage to CC??? Neither have I. Therefore, I believe it is a beneficial aromatic to include in the DL in coop and run, and even in nest boxes.

It makes a good scrub brush. When I clean the waterers, I add a drop or two of liquid soap, grab a fist full of CC and use it to scrub my waterers. Totally biodegradable scrubbies always at my disposal.

The birds eat it... sometimes. I wonder if it has some antihelminthic properties. On occasion, I see the birds munching it down, other times, they leave it in favor of grass and clover.

It makes a nice ground cover to add diversity to a lawn. Want a lawn that is ALL grass? It makes poor fodder for the chickens. A lawn that is all grass is also more prone to Japanese beetle attack. I've never been overly concerned about what grows in my lawn, though I do dig out thistle and burdock. Dandelion, CC, plantain, thyme, white and red clover help make my lawn green! They provide varied forage for the flock, are not as prone to browning during drought, the biodiversity makes my lawn less prone to insect or disease attack. Plantain is used for a healing salve, and I recently discovered white yarrow growing in my lawn... yet an other healing herb.

I strongly suggest that chemical herbicides be avoided.
Thanks. We try to look for the good in all things growing on our property, but I think we've turned the corner on creeping charlie. :)

Back
Top Bottom