Powdered Duramycin (oxytetracycline) antibiotic in water

OMG! Please help me understand this dosage thing. So many dosage's given through this thread. I was trying to make a dosage chart for all my med stuff ahead of time so I will never have to panic and lose babies again.
First it was;
OXYTETRACYCLINE HCI 280 800 mg dose is 1 Tablespoon per gallon for 7-14 days that was wrong
then 800 mg dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon for 7-14 days
1 1/8 teaspoon per quart
then 400mg dose is 1.25 Tablespoon per gallon for a 3 week old chick
then 800 mg dose is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon

My head is exploding and I feel like crying. Can someone correct me and take the time to give the measured tried and true dose off label for our chickens? I have the Oxy not Duramycin 10.
Someone was kind enough last month to give me correct dosages for Corid liquid and powder.
And does anyone have the latest dosages for Tylan 50 to be used oral, not injected off label of course.
And last, I now have no idea what dose of Denegard to give when and if I need to.

Last time I asked I was raked over for improper diagnosis, how do I know what they have etc.? My babies are fine at this time, we have been through a lot. Folks on here have helped me so much! I can never thank you enough! I just want to be able to treat them as close as possible to not overdose or underdose with these medications if they need it. I know it would help others too. Thank you in advance!!!

OMG!  Please help me understand this dosage thing.  So many dosage's given through this thread.  I was trying to make a dosage chart for all my med stuff ahead of time so I will never have to panic and lose babies again.  
First it was;
OXYTETRACYCLINE HCI 280 800 mg dose is 1 Tablespoon per gallon for 7-14 days  that was wrong
                                           then 800 mg dose is 5 teaspoons per gallon for 7-14 days
                                                    1 1/8 teaspoon per quart
                                            then 400mg dose is 1.25 Tablespoon per gallon for a 3 week old chick
                                            then 800 mg dose is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon

My head is exploding and I feel like crying.  Can someone correct me and take the time to give the measured tried and true dose off label for our chickens?  I have the Oxy not Duramycin 10.  
Someone was kind enough last month to give me correct dosages for Corid liquid and powder.  
And does anyone have the latest dosages for Tylan 50 to be used oral, not injected off label of course.
And last, I now have no idea what dose of Denegard to give when and if I need to.

Last time I asked I was raked over for improper diagnosis, how do I know what they have etc.?  My babies are fine at this time, we have been through a lot.  Folks on here have helped me so much!  I can never thank you enough!  I just want to be able to treat them as close as possible to not overdose or underdose with these medications if they need it.  I know it would help others too.  Thank you in advance!!!

Which oxytetracyline do you have, the 280?

-Kathy

@rlhagan56 if you have any of the ones that say "280", the 800 mg dose is ~3/4 teaspoon per gallon.

Oxytetracycline

This package weighs 280 grams
Package contains 102.4 grams oxytetracycline

102.4 / 280 = 0.37 , which means that it's 37% oxytetracycline and 63% filler
370 mg per gram
One teaspoon probably weighs 3 grams, so it's 3 x 370mg = 1110 mg per teaspoon
The 800 mg dose for one gallon = ~3/4 teaspoons

-Kathy

Sorry, couldn't get back on here till now. Yes I have the 280. Was this a new calculation you made by weighing again?

What would a quart be then, a little less than 1/8? And what about a 400mg dose or a dose for chicks, would chicks be 1/10cc?

I just got some sick birds in with bad sounding colds. I'm willing to help them out, so I am giving 1/4 cc of Tylon 50. Please tell me that is the right dose. They immediately started feeling better and eating.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't have this site with all of you helping!

Last edited:
Sorry, couldn't get back on here till now. Yes I have the 280. Was this a new calculation you made by weighing again?

What would a quart be then, a little less than 1/8? And what about a 400mg dose or a dose for chicks, would chicks be 1/10cc?

I just got some sick birds in with bad sounding colds. I'm willing to help them out, so I am giving 1/4 cc of Tylon 50. Please tell me that is the right dose. They immediately started feeling better and eating.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I didn't have this site with all of you helping!
To make it easier, it's probably okay to round up to 1 tsp per gallon, so 1/4 tsp per quart for the max dose, or 1/8 tsp per quart for the "400 mg per gallon" dose.

How much do your chicks weigh?

-Kathy

Last edited:
bantam Silkies. I will have to weigh them. My internet was down (thank you crappy Frontier)

Thank you, I think I have it now and can give proper doses (and weigh them) for
Corid, or Oxy (till I run out) Denegard, wormers, Tylon 50, Oxine!

Last edited:
Hi Kathy,
I have a question on Terra-Vet 10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder dosage (I couldn't find Duramycin-10 anywhere and it seems exactly the same).
Someone just sent me this thread from you saying the dosage should be 1.5 T/gallon (which would be about 1/3 tsp/cup).
I just started this on my silkie hen yesterday but I went by www.poultrypedia.com - their chicken medicine chart (I posted below)
says 1/8 teaspoon/cup, this is equivalent to 2 teaspoons/gallon (much less than the 1.5T=4.5 teaspoons
you listed). Basically their dosage is about 2 1/2 times weaker than yours.
I'm using it on my silkie hen who after a solid poop has a yellowish looser stool. I just lost my
other silkie hen last week to egg yolk peritonitis, so I might be over reacting, but want to bear on the side of
caution

Thank you for any advice/input.

Last edited:
Hi Kathy,
I have a question on Terra-Vet 10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder dosage (I couldn't find Duramycin-10 anywhere and it seems exactly the same).
Someone just sent me this thread from you saying the dosage should be 1.5 T/gallon (which would be about 1/3 tsp/cup).
I just started this on my silkie hen yesterday but I went by www.poultrypedia.com - their chicken medicine chart (I posted below)
says 1/8 teaspoon/cup, this is equivalent to 2 teaspoons/gallon (much less than the 1.5T=4.5 teaspoons
you listed). Basically their dosage is about 2 1/2 times weaker than yours.
I'm using it on my silkie hen who after a solid poop has a yellowish looser stool. I just lost my
other silkie hen last week to egg yolk peritonitis, so I might be over reacting, but want to bear on the side of
caution

Thank you for any advice/input.
Not sure where they got that dose from.
idunno.gif

The max dose is 800 mg/gallon. 16 cups to a gallon? So what that, 50 mg per cup? How much do you want to make and how strong do you want to make it? Let me know exactly how much you want to make, how strong you want it, and I'll go weight the powder and get back to you with a dose. I did this once before, and 5 teaspoons = ~825 mg.

Hi,
That chart is from www.poultrypedia.com and the tab on left is 'chicken medicine chart'
They say 1/8 tsp/cup
I don't know how strong to make it. On the Terra-Vet 10 instructions it says 400-800 mg/gal for crd air sac
disease, and 200-400 mg/gal for infectious synovitis. In my case I'm using it for egg yolk peritonitus.
I just want to make 1 cup at a time, I just have 1 hen.

Thank you,
Lauren

Hi,
That chart is from www.poultrypedia.com and the tab on left is 'chicken medicine chart'
They say 1/8 tsp/cup
I don't know how strong to make it. On the Terra-Vet 10 instructions it says 400-800 mg/gal for crd air sac
disease, and 200-400 mg/gal for infectious synovitis. In my case I'm using it for egg yolk peritonitus.
I just want to make 1 cup at a time, I just have 1 hen.

Thank you,
Lauren
I'm familiar with the chart, but I don't know where the creator of the chart got their info. I will go weigh 50 mg worth of powder, which is about 1 gram.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom