prayer warriors (following Jesus Christ, everyone welcome)

This verse doesn’t mean not to pray in public, as there are times when it is appropriate, such thanking God for a meal or provision, praying over a sick person, during a church service, and other examples. During the time Matthew was written (and honestly, at any time, including now), some people, especially religious leaders, wanted to be seen as holy and used public prayer to get attention. They were not sincere. Jesus saw through their “acts” and taught that prayer was private communication with God and not a public show. This verse spoke about those who only pray in public where others will notice them and do not have a private, personal relationship with God.
I agree with Carla. What she's talking about is what's commonly known as "corporate prayer," where one individual will pray as a representative of a group. That person prays in behalf of the congregation, for example, bringing all the prayers, praises and petitions of the group before the Lord. Jesus did it on a few occasions, such as at Lazarus' tomb. In the Old Testament Elijah did it on Mount Carmel. It wasn't unusual. What Jesus was condemning was people who evidently stood on street corners and prayed aloud for no other reason than just to show off how "holy" they were. That's why He called them hypocrites. They were not really praying, they were just showing off. They were fakes.

Hope this answers your question? Thank you for joining us, by the way! Happy to have you! ❤️

This verse doesn’t mean not to pray in public, as there are times when it is appropriate, such thanking God for a meal or provision, praying over a sick person, during a church service, and other examples. During the time Matthew was written (and honestly, at any time, including now), some people, especially religious leaders, wanted to be seen as holy and used public prayer to get attention. They were not sincere. Jesus saw through their “acts” and taught that prayer was private communication with God and not a public show. This verse spoke about those who only pray in public where others will notice them and do not have a private, personal relationship with God.

x2

Well I’ve been meaning to check in. I’ve successfully started college and it seems to be going well so that’s a praise.

Unfortunately, I also have a prayer request tonight. A former friend and student of mine from back when I took martial arts went missing a week ago and as far as I know there’s still no sign of him.
:hugs ❤️🙏❤️

Back
Top Bottom