prayer warriors (following Jesus Christ, everyone welcome)

In my experience teething or tieing a dog up they tend to get mean. And yes we already put both dogs down.

I think it depends how long the tether is and/or how much you do with them. Because yes tethering on a shorter line and/or ignoring them is mean imo but if they have a proper chain spot, that can actually provide way more room to move (sq ft wise) than even a chain link kennel or crate (commonly used) or even a room. But that means a long enough chain (15 or 20 feet), put into the ground properly, the right weight chain, a shelter, etc. I used to think it was mean but it can provide a lot of room. But the way most do it with a dog just tied up in the backyard is mean.

I would hope the dog is also taken off the chain once in a while for exercise, training, play, socialization, etc.

Otherwise it's not much of a life for a dog.

Here's a good video

Here's a good article except I would never use cedar bedding for animals

http://therealapbt.blogspot.com/2012/05/chain-setups.html?m=1

I think it depends how long the tether is and/or how much you do with them. Because yes tethering on a shorter line and/or ignoring them is mean imo but if they have a proper chain spot, that can actually provide way more room to move (sq ft wise) than even a chain link kennel or crate (commonly used) or even a room. But that means a long enough chain (15 or 20 feet), put into the ground properly, the right weight chain, a shelter, etc. I used to think it was mean but it can provide a lot of room. But the way most do it with a dog just tied up in the backyard is mean.

I would hope the dog is also taken off the chain once in a while for exercise, training, play, socialization, etc.

Otherwise it's not much of a life for a dog.

Here's a good video

Here's a good article except I would never use cedar bedding for animals

http://therealapbt.blogspot.com/2012/05/chain-setups.html?m=1
I meant it could make the dog mean. I had a rescue as a kid and my parents had to put her on a runner (she kept getting out) and she started becoming aggressive after that.

I meant it could make the dog mean. I had a rescue as a kid and my parents had to put her on a runner (she kept getting out) and she started becoming aggressive after that.

Oh yeah, no, I knew what you meant, sorry. And you are absolutely right. The typical tethering most people think of, just a neglected dog in the back, can absolutely make a dog mean, or even loved dogs, like I'm sure yours was. I think they can become protective of "their" space is part of it. I was just pointing out that not all tethering is bad and there are good ways. Cause a lot of people, myself included previously, think it's always cruel but, as pointed out, often they have a lot more room than other methods and some dogs prefer to be outside. I knew someone once that had a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier (a lot of "pit bulls" are actually mutts), and that thing would tear the whoke house apart, get out of crates, etc. If not tethered outside. I think they actually had 2 or 3. All outside. But one in particular just HATED being inside and it wasn't worth destroying the house over. They just have so much energy.

Our dog is given exercise daily fed, watered, loved,& plenty of room to roam. Sorry it was just a suggestion.

Sorry for my reply, I realize that it probably came off as a litttle bit rude or judgemental but I didn't mean for it to be at all. And it is a good suggestion. I think I was just a little paranoid cause like I said a lot of people do do it wrong or don't care but obviously youre not one, which is good and i figured you were. But I think also with the part where you said he had a lot of behavior problems, I think I accidentally misinterpreted that to mean you just chained him up instead of fixing them/trainin, which, sadly, is what a lot of people would do in that situation. I should have known you wouldn't be one of them though. Sorry.

Oh yeah, no, I knew what you meant, sorry. And you are absolutely right. The typical tethering most people think of, just a neglected dog in the back, can absolutely make a dog mean, or even loved dogs, like I'm sure yours was. I think they can become protective of "their" space is part of it. I was just pointing out that not all tethering is bad and there are good ways. Cause a lot of people, myself included previously, think it's always cruel but, as pointed out, often they have a lot more room than other methods and some dogs prefer to be outside. I knew someone once that had a purebred American Pit Bull Terrier (a lot of "pit bulls" are actually mutts), and that thing would tear the whoke house apart, get out of crates, etc. If not tethered outside. I think they actually had 2 or 3. All outside. But one in particular just HATED being inside and it wasn't worth destroying the house over. They just have so much energy.

Sorry for my reply, I realize that it probably came off as a litttle bit rude or judgemental but I didn't mean for it to be at all. And it is a good suggestion. I think I was just a little paranoid cause like I said a lot of people do do it wrong or don't care but obviously youre not one, which is good and i figured you were. But I think also with the part where you said he had a lot of behavior problems, I think I accidentally misinterpreted that to mean you just chained him up instead of fixing them/trainin, which, sadly, is what a lot of people would do in that situation. I should have known you wouldn't be one of them though. Sorry.
I was snippy sorry. It's just that we do everything to protect him, as you posted he loves the out doors. We rescued him from an awful situation. He's packed the weight on, & so playful, but there are behaviour issues. Thanks & sorry for your loss. :)

I was snippy sorry. It's just that we do everything to protect him, as you posted he loves the out doors. We rescued him from an awful situation. He's packed the weight on, & so playful, but there are behaviour issues. Thanks & sorry for your loss. :)

No no, it's okay. My initial reply was mean and just assumed. That's awesome and it sounds like he's taken care of :)

And thanks but it wasn't my dogs that were put down, it was jesus freaks. Unless you're referring to something else?

Back
Top Bottom