Predator proof roofing

Sg4

Songster
Aug 7, 2017
Hey BYC friends! My chicken coop is a re-purposed 10x10 dog kennel. Over the last year I've made adjustments for predator proofing, etc. Learn as you go! I currently have a tarp like rooftop to keep rain and hawks out. But those slippery racoons can get right in. Does anyone have a good idea for a simple, inexpensive, predator proof rooftop? Thanks!

I use a Retriever kennel from TSC and this is what I did. The gap is not big enough for anything to get thru it cept a weasel and don't have them around here, and I don't believe they climb they like to dig. The girls are only in here during the day. I used 2x6 and made a hole with a spade bit then notched it with my saw. Attached the tin roof with self tappers

Last edited:
I use a Retriever kennel from TSC and this is what I did. The gap is not big enough for anything to get thru it cept a weasel and don't have them around here, and I don't believe they climb they like to dig. The girls are only in here during the day. I used 2x6 and made a hole with a spade bit then notched it with my saw. Attached the tin roof with self tappers
That looks great!

20180304_170855.jpg
this picture is from a year ago. The roof is the same though

I keep my hens in a 20’x10 dog run. I secured chicken wire on the top. I also have a tin roof directly above the coop keeps it nice and dry. In hot summer months I add a tarp (patio mat) for added shade. We have all kinds of predators too. I can tell when something has been trying to find a way in because the roof wire is sagging, I secured it with zip ties and wire.

I know most people on BYC won't agree with me but I would put chicken wire over the top. I have heavy duty netting over my pens but I also have electric wire around the perimeter of all of my pens and coops and have not had any loss due to predators. My wire around the outside of my pens is chicken wire.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

2014-11-18 17.08.57.jpg
05100004 03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom