Predators for goats...

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had any problems with coyotes getting goats? My neighbor spotted a coyote watching our property with chickens and goats, and I'm not worried about them in the day because the dog is out, but at night. The chickens get put away and goats are in a pen with a 4 foot fence. Can anything dangerous get to them? Getting kinda worried about what is out there that can harm them. Thinking about getting a dog just to be outside with them at night.

Solar Lights... 8 pack at Walmart for $20! We have had solar lights surrounding my sheep pasture, goat pasture and chicken run since last fall and it does wonders. The neighbor uses a red light that is sold to keep coyotes away and one of his dogs was nearly killed a couple of weeks ago. We have not had a problem since putting up the lights.

Chris

get youre self a camel
wink.png

a cousin of mine rases goats and last year they lost 4 mamas and 3 babies to cyotes one i guess they kinda pulled trew the fence in peices.and yes it is a 4 or higher fence.(pyreness good dog from what i hear)
hit.gif

We have coyotes right across the street from us howling all night long. My dogs are in a kennel right by my goats. Their smell must be enough to deter the coyotes. We haven't even lost a chicken to the them.

oh my, I guess there is a chance of a problem and it only takes one time. I do have a 3 foot fence surrounding the property but if they are hungry enough they get through both fences.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Although I'm in high desert, a camel is probably out of the question
wink.png

Another question, does anybody lock up their goats at night to keep them safe, like in their shed? Just wondering how to train them to go in at night?

Mine go in their shed to sleep at night on their own. I used to lock them up at night when I first got them but I don't anymore. I figure they're safe with the dogs close by. The dogs bark when they hear anything outside.

Back
Top Bottom