Premature Crowing in 8 week old cockerel

Then I Will

Songster
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Annville, Pennsylvania
Hi All,

I have an EE cockerel who is around 8 weeks old right now. Two weeks ago I heard him make an odd croaking sound from around the corner and all of the other birds tore off for the coop in fright!!
I wondered if he had been trying to crow. This week, I caught him in the act! On video also, standing on his high rock and attempting to crow several times.
It's raspy, brassy, and unrefined as it usually is when the cockerels begin crowing.

I've never heard a cockerel try to crow this young! But a neighbor does have a rooster who can be heard crowing every day so I wondered if this has encouraged my little EE to take up the millinea old art of crowing so early.

Has anyone else experienced premature crowers? Please share,

Laurisa

I ended up with 3 accidental cockerels, and the way we were really able to tell is that two of 'em started crowing around the time. :rolleyes: One of them sounded so bad I nicknamed him Kazoo. :lau They stopped, though, and now they're doing it again at about 4 months old - luckily they're better this time. :p My neighbors also have roosters, and I think that's also where mine learned early.

Back
Top Bottom