Premier heating plate too hot

No idea. You could try asking Premier, but who knows?
Mary

Yeah I actually called them today and they said that temperature is totally normal and i should just raise it a little higher if it worries me and that the chicks don’t need to touch it to be warmed by it. I don’t know how I feel about it. I have a brisnea arriving tomorrow and I am going to compare temps and go from there.

I actually had 2 chicks with burns on their shoulders this spring. When I contacted Premier1, they also suggested raising it higher. I was brooding in my coop and it was cold and the premier1 plate definitely got warmer than the Brinsea (I have both; a small Brinsea and the medium premier1). Both girls were fine, but it still worried me. My advice-if you’re brooding indoors, go with the Brinsea and if outdoors, the premier1.

I'd recommend checking the actual temperature on the underside of your plate, whatever the size or origin, before using it. For whatever the reason, at least the plates sold by Premier seem to vary a lot, and it's worth checking out. The directions state that the chicks should touch the plate with their backs, and 120F is so wrong for that!
The temp. controller works very well, it seems, and how interesting that it was added to their catalog this spring.
Mary

I haven't used one of these products before, but if it provides 'radiant' heat - aka it takes some time to cool when turned off, then it can be used on a dimmer or probe thermostat to ensure an appropriate temperature.
More work than I would expect from a premium product though.

I'd recommend checking the actual temperature on the underside of your plate, whatever the size or origin, before using it. For whatever the reason, at least the plates sold by Premier seem to vary a lot, and it's worth checking out. The directions state that the chicks should touch the plate with their backs, and 120F is so wrong for that!
The temp. controller works very well, it seems, and how interesting that it was added to their catalog this spring.
Mary

Yeah I just begrudgingly ordered one of the premier temp regulator things, so I’ll just use the brisnea until it shows up. I guess I will just have 2 heating plates now.:idunno

I actually had 2 chicks with burns on their shoulders this spring. When I contacted Premier1, they also suggested raising it higher. I was brooding in my coop and it was cold and the premier1 plate definitely got warmer than the Brinsea (I have both; a small Brinsea and the medium premier1). Both girls were fine, but it still worried me. My advice-if you’re brooding indoors, go with the Brinsea and if outdoors, the premier1.

I just ordered the thing that premier 1 sells to allow you to regulate and turn down the temp. And I have a brisnea showing up tomorrow. I didn’t intend to end up with 2 heating plates but now I have options lol. Now you’ve got me thinking...I will have the chicks indoors for a few weeks but maybe I can set both heat plates up in the coop and move them out there sooner than anticipated.

I'm coming late to the discussion, maybe too late. I also ordered and returned the Premiere Heating plate. I don't like it because the way it works, according to their instructions, is that the chick's back should be in contact with the plate, which I think is hot enough to burn them. I switched to the Sweeter Heater which gives off radiant heat, so not in direct contact with the chick. I love it. Am I being redundant? I just said this to someone on here. Sorry to repeat myself if it was you. :oops:

View attachment 1957803 So I have been debating between the brisnea and the premier heating plate. I ended up getting the 12 x 12 premier one. It just came in and wow that sucker gets hot. Is that normal or is mine defective? I can only hold my hand on it for a little bit before it burns. I’m freaking out.
I have been hatching chicks and quail for a little over a year now. This last hatch I used a reptile heating mat at the bottom instead of a heat lamp. Every single baby quail developed necrosis and their legs and feet are black and burnt and dying off. Some have started swelling so sadly I have to cull them all. :-(

Not all heating appliances are equal. Some are downright unsafe. When we were testing the heating pad system for the first time here on BYC, we measured the surface temperature of the pad itself along with the floor temp directly under the pad, keeping in mind that chicks require at least 80F as a "footprint" temperature. And the surface temperature of the pad must not be over 108F since that's the temperature at which tissue begins to burn.

In the years since, we discussed other brooder heating devices such as heat plate and reptile pads that have the potential to get too hot and the chicks coming into direct contact could suffer burns. Conversely, some of these devices are not warm enough to adequately heat chicks in very cold temperatures when brooded outside. Heat plates are especially deficient in adequately providing enough heat during a below freezing night. But we also received lots of anecdotes about chicks being burned when they came into direct contact with the heat plate surfaces of some brands.

The heating pad system has the potential to burn delicate chick skin if the pad is used without the cloth cover, which diffuses the heat transfer. After a good year of this topic being the dominate one at that time, we became fans of the heating pad system since it was deemed to be safest, most efficient, and most affordable. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Back
Top Bottom