I agree 100% with @Eggcessive. It sounds as though it is progressing as I mentioned, but until you try the riboflavin.......

I'm sorry that I have to agree.. It does sound and act like Marek's disease. Unfortunately unless you have a vet that can diagnose it for you or you decide to cull(or he dies naturally) and you get a diagnosis via necropsy, we can only wager a guess based on knowledge and experience to try to help you.

I know the pain that you are going through right now. If it is Marek's you are constantly thinking, not my flock...not my flock and I know from my own experience that if it is Marek's it's not the end.....and I have 40 healthy, happy bantams, bantam crosses and Egyptian Fayoumis to prove it!

Did you ever get any vitamin that contains riboflavin (B 2?) Ground beef, liver, plain yogurt, egg yolk, chopped almonds, and salmon has some.) NutriDrench does not have it. This looks like Mareks, but it would be good to give some extra riboflavin just in case of riboflavin deficiency:
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

I did get a vitamin supplement that I've added to his food that contains riboflavin.
I've ultimately decided that if he's not starting to show some signs of improvement by Sunday evening it will probably be time to put him down and/or arrange to take him to the OSU lab for testing.

I hope you see some improvement soon. If you cull him, the body would need to be kept cool, not frozen to get a necropsy or testing, and most labs are open only M-F. It would need to be delivered Monday or shipped overnight via Fedex or UPS. It helps to contact them ahead of time, and some will send a preprinted shipping label which cannhelp with price.

:hugs

Please keep us informed and if it does get confirmed as Marek's disease know that you are not alone.

I'm only a PM away and will be glad to help however I can from my own experience with the disease.

Thank so much! It really means a lot.

I hope you see some improvement soon. If you cull him, the body would need to be kept cool, not frozen to get a necropsy or testing, and most labs are open only M-F. It would need to be delivered Monday or shipped overnight via Fedex or UPS. It helps to contact them ahead of time, and some will send a preprinted shipping label which cannhelp with price.

Fingers crossed for improvement. :fl
Thanks for the tip. I actually attended OSU and still have some friends who work down there so I might just arrange to make the 1.5hr drive to deliver him and have lunch with a friend to make it less of a sad experience if it comes to that.

Experiencing something similar with my 17 week old Marans Mix (Midnight Majestic Maran) Pullet. She's been slightly limping since yesterday. She's very timid and shy and seems to be near the bottom of the pecking order. I've noticed my blue silkie cockerel giving her some very unwanted attention and I'm hoping she was injured in her attempts to get away from him. I know that sounds bad but I'd rather that than MD.
If you click on the blue box “post new thread” in middle of the page here, you can start a new thread of your own for any help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Unfortunately, yes it does look like that.

When it progresses, the unaffected leg will stretch out to the front giving the stance the 'scissor' effect.

Is he eating and drinking? Has he lost weight?

Here is a good article where you can click on the “clinical signs” with many pictures of the positioning of a chicken with Mareks:
https://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease
Yeah, one is back and the other forward, if they both went into the front they would probably both be sticking out in front of him like those images. :/

Unfortunately, yes it does look like that.

When it progresses, the unaffected leg will stretch out to the front giving the stance the 'scissor' effect.

Is he eating and drinking? Has he lost weight?

He's eating a drinking just unable to get around so I moved his food, water where he could get to it. I wasn't sure if I should put him through the stress of some kind of suspended sling that holds him up so he's not on the ground.

Not sure where I should really go from here exactly. I can give him more NutriDrench tonight when the hubby gets home and can help me but it's hard to see him like this without much sign of him getting better.

Back
Top Bottom