Price?

rigagirl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 28, 2008
churchville ny
I swear i did look before i posted this. How much is a good price for eggs that someone wants to incubate without shipping. Someone near me charges .75 more than what she normally sells her eggs for. I have had a couple people call me but they didn't like the chance that i only had 1 rooster. do i charge the same per dozen for incubating eggs versus eating eggs?

I personally don't think hatching eggs are worth any more than any other egg unless it is a rare strain of chicken or you have some special breeding program in place... I can buy a sexed pullet from any hatchery for about 2.00 so I don't understand why anybody would pay 12.00 plus shipping for hatching eggs when you don't know if they will make it through the mail or hatch.

I get 3.00 a dozen for my eggs for eating...If I had a roo and where selling hatching eggs I would maybe charge 4.00 just to cover the expense of keeping the roo.

I sell eating eggs $2 a doz and was selling hatching for $3 a doz since I have a mixed flock (some pure RIR and some not). My demand for hatching eggs this spring was so high that I did not have eggs for my regular customers. If this happens next year I plan to charge $5 a doz for hatching eggs. So demand can play a role in how much you charge.

i have to say.. i have a mixed flock and am charging just as much for hatching as i am for eating at this point. but who knows what the future holds lol.
smile.png
i cringe at having to pay 25.00 for eggs but i still do so i can get the pretty hens in my flock. i just started buying again. but this last hatch was pretty bad. im hoping this second set is better lol. and im also hoping that the next set of eggs are handled better than the first and second batch. im so sick of dealing with broken eggs.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom